For over 40 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
The Construction Manager (Interdepartmental) will be a member of the Development Team, performing and managing a range of tasks related to the planning, construction, and design of affordable housing and other community development projects for Bellwether Housing, and for other nonprofit organizations that have engaged Bellwether to provide development services. The Construction Manager (Interdepartmental) will also work with Property Management and the Facilities/Maintenance Teams to coordinate and manage major repairs, maintenance and renovations of existing properties.
• Assist with or manage site/building evaluation and feasibility studies.
• Coordinate bid and qualifications processes to select design and construction related consultants.
• Ensure construction and design values and priorities are established and carried out. Manage the use and maintenance of Bellwether’s Construction Standards Handbook.
• Participate in project design development; review design documents for completeness, coordination, and clarity.
• Participate in project cost estimating and value engineering
• Ensure construction schedule is complete and timely.
• Coordinate relocation planning and implementation, coordinate construction activities with Property Management, and ensure existing tenants are informed of construction impacts.
• Oversee the construction process, including compliance with building, energy and other codes and regulatory requirements; site inspections; requests for payment and monitor costs related to design and construction; change order evaluation and processing; loan disbursement requests; assure compliance with plans and specifications; review of submittals and RFI’s ensure adequacy of close-out materials (e.g., as-builts, warranties, lien releases, O&M manuals, progress photos, shop drawings).
• Coordinate and manage all utility related site work and work with local building and utility officials for required permits and approvals.
• Ensure effective and informed building hand-off with Property Management/Facilities staff.
• Assist in identifying and tracking upcoming repair and maintenance requirements of existing properties
• Coordinate and manage larger scale repairs and maintenance projects, including interdepartmental coordination and communication
• Ability to evaluate and present different construction options to stakeholders.
• Manage construction budget
• Keep issues log current and up to date, track all outstanding items through to completion
• Ensure Bellwether’s values of financial and environmental sustainability are reflected in construction projects.
• Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, architecture or related field OR equivalent experience approved by the Director. Master’s degree in construction-related field preferred.
• A minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible experience in construction management or related field, particularly in large multi-family developments and in the repair and maintenance of existing multifamily buildings.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret building plans and construction documentation; and professional level knowledge of construction business practices, including permitting, zoning, environmental testing, and abatement.
• Ability to review and negotiate third party contracts with contractors, architects, and others.
• Comprehensive understanding of sustainable building systems and practices.
• Strong project management skills.
• Desire and ability to communicate clearly and have strong presentation skills.
• Strong customer service ethic.
• Strong ability to work interdepartmentally and with other Bellwether Team members such as: The Director, Development Managers, Property Management, and Facilities/Maintenance.
• Demonstrated commitment to community development and affordable housing.
• Ability to exercise considerable independent judgment over typical construction and design issues while representing best interests of Bellwether Housing/Clients
• Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
• Familiarity with affordable housing financing sources, regulatory requirements and public contracting requirements desired
Other Position Requirements
• A personal vehicle is not a requirement of this position. However, if using a personal or company-owned vehicle in the performance of job duties associated with this position, the incumbent must possess and maintain a valid Washington State driver’s license, the appropriate amount of automobile insurance, and a safe driving record.
• Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Hours: Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week, flexible work schedule.
Compensation: $95,000 - $110,000 per year, depending on experience. Generous benefits.
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b) retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, disability (short- and long-term); employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, including the diversity of thought. We consider all applicants without regard to education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.