*COVER LETTER REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED A COMPLETE APPLICATION AND CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW*
Position: Training Specialist
Reports to: Director of Training and Volunteer Relations
Location: Hybrid/Flexible - CASA of Los Angeles, Edelman Children’s Court, Monterey Park, CA
Status/Schedule: Full-time/Exempt, Mon – Fri 8AM-5PM, weekend/evening, required in office/field based on organization needs.
Salary: $66,560.00-$77,181.84 annually, benefits eligible
CASA of Los Angeles organizes the community to show up for children and families in LA County’s overburdened child welfare and juvenile justice systems. Through an intentional, restorative and culturally responsive lens, we train committed, consistent and caring adults who provide equitable access to resources and life-affirming connections. CASA/LA strengthens our community, ensuring that children and families have what they need to thrive. CASA/LA is on a path to expand services to 12,000 of the estimated 30,000 children in the LA County’s dependency system every year. Key to these efforts is growth in the number of people who know about CASA/LA, the number of volunteers recruited and trained each year, and revenue generated from individuals, foundations, corporations and government sources.
CASA/LA is looking for a dynamic and highly experienced training specialist to support and coordinate efforts with the training and volunteer relations team to meet their goals in screening, training and supporting volunteers. The training specialist will be a self-starter who is responsible for scheduling, coordinating, and facilitating training classes, and entering and maintaining database information. The training specialist will have a strong customer service orientation, be incredibly detail-oriented, creative and resourceful, and share the passion for CASA’s mission. They will have a track record of facilitating adult learning programs that engage and educate. Weekend and evening work is required throughout the year as needed.
- Facilitate pre-service training for volunteer applicants.
- Screen volunteer applicants
- Provide excellent customer service to volunteers, applicants, stakeholders, and staff.
· Incorporate and foster a trauma-informed, anti-racist and anti-oppressive lens to working with the community, staff, and volunteers
· Facilitate pre-service volunteer training
· Assist with all other aspects of volunteer training including scheduling, coordinating, preparing and providing logistical support for volunteer-related training
· Moderate in-service training, as needed
· Plan and host volunteer graduations
· Assist with research and schedule opportunities for speakers and in-service presentations for volunteer/staff continuing education, as needed
· Provide information to volunteers and other visitors by answering questions and requests
· Create a customer-friendly climate in all aspects of working with volunteers
· Assist with volunteer appreciation events
Volunteer Services Administrative
- Conduct volunteer interviews and provide feedback to the volunteer coordinator regarding potential candidates.
- Facilitate conversations, as necessary, to redirect applicants better suited for roles outside of the organization.
- Monitor and document volunteer training progress and required volunteer documentation in the volunteer management database, in a timely manner.
- Assist with policy and procedure updates as needed for the department.
· Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent job/life experience, in background applicable to organizational mission and role
· Minimum of three years of experience working with adult volunteers
· Minimum three years of experience facilitating training with adults and willingness to build skills in this area
· Working knowledge of adult learning theory
· Exceptional oral and written communication skills
· Demonstrated customer service skills and attitude
· Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task
· Desire to work in a multicultural environment
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Zoom
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, set priorities, take initiative, and exercise sound independent judgment within areas of responsibility and ability to manage a multi-project workload
· A valid California driver’s license and current automobile insurance
· Ability to successfully pass a formal background check
· Willingness to travel throughout Los Angeles County
Experience in child welfare, CA dependency law, non-profit or volunteer program management, and online learning.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The training specialist will be expected to have periodic transportation to attend training events. The training specialist will also be required to have a flexible schedule in order to facilitate daytime, weekend, and evening classes. Time will be spent in the office that could involve intermittent physical activities including standing, bending, reaching, sitting, and walking during working and training.
Only applicants who provide a cover letter will be considered. Only applicants whose resumes are selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that the selected candidates will be required to submit to a full live scan and background check.
CASA of Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering diversity within its staff.
CASA of Los Angeles promotes equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. In doing so, we comply with local, state, and federal laws and regulations to ensure an equal employment opportunity for everyone. We don’t discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race, ancestry, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, citizenship, military service obligation, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Our policies and personnel practices are intended to ensure that all of us are treated equally with regard to recruiting, hiring, and advancement, and our decisions on employment are made to further the principle of equal employment opportunities for employees.