Under the direction of the Athletic Director, the coach must plan and implement a high quality athletic program that promotes the school’s mission, stresses fundamentals, teamwork, and sportsmanship while maintaining high safety standards for all athletes. The Head Varsity Swim and Dive Coach must be able to create a culture that encourages cooperation, cohesiveness, and commitment. They will be responsible for training athletes and preparing them for interscholastic competition and developing their skills at a competitive level. This coaching position is part-time and must be combined with another role at Whitefield Academy. Coaching applicants must be qualified and apply for a current open position with Whitefield Academy.
- Observe all students on the team and maintain discipline during practices and meets
- Effectively use best coaching practices to adapt coaching methods, instructional materials, and learning opportunities to meet students' varying needs
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with students, parents, and other professionals on a regular basis
- Observe and collaborate with peers and assistant coaches to enhance the practice and game environment
- Maintain accurate and complete student records
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and coaches training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence
- Attend staff meetings, and serve on committees as required
- Select, store, order, issue, and inventory equipment, materials, and supplies
- Adhere to the bylaws, policies and procedures, and to all laws that govern the school and its actions
- Additional duties as assigned by the administration
Professional and Personal Attributes, Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Exhibit a high knowledge of the sport of swimming and diving; a minimum of 5 years coaching experience highly preferred
- A vision for how to build a strong swim and dive program with sustained success
- Ability to develop rapport with students and lead others confidently
- Possess a personal drive for excellence
- Ability to work well with others and have a “team first” attitude in the role as a head coach in the athletic department
- Demonstrate excellent organizational and written and oral communication skills
In addition, the person should:
- Commit to living his/her life under the lordship of Christ
- Model a consistent daily walk with Jesus Christ, and be a Christian role model in speech, actions, and attitudes, which contributes to the spiritual atmosphere of the school
- Believe and affirm the school’s Statement of Faith
- Commit to exhibiting Whitefield’s core value for our students to experience diversity that reflects the body of Christ and support the school’s diversity vision that aims at unity in Christ
- Demonstrate evidence of consistent spiritual activities such as worship at a local church, fellowship with the body of Christ, personal devotional time with the Lord, and individual study of scripture
- Evidence the fruit of the Spirit in the nurturing of relationships with other staff members, students, families, and the community at large
- Be actively involved in a local church
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A request for reasonable accommodations must be submitted to the HR department.
Work for this position will take place primarily in the Athletic Center/fields, and secondarily in an office and/or classroom. The physical demands of this position include lifting up to 25 pounds often, and up to 50 pounds intermittently; carrying up to 25 pounds often, and up to 50 pounds intermittently; climbing/balancing and crawling intermittently; pushing/pulling, kneeling, crouching, reaching, sitting, walking, standing, bending, and stooping often. To perform this job the person must be able to work for extended periods of time at a computer/keyboard; must be able to talk, hear, stand, sit, and/or walk for extended periods of time; and must possess normal manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination. Conditions may exist that create exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
Nothing in this job description restricts the School’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. This description reflects management’s assignment of essential function. It does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description is subject to change at any time.
This position will begin August 2024. To apply please go to www.whitefieldacademy.com under About Us/Employment Opportunities. Whitefield Academy is an equal opportunity employer.