POSITION: Props Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Seasonal - Full Time
REPORTS TO: Scenery Supervisor
SUPERVISES: Scenery Staff
LOCATION: Williamstown, MA
COMPENSATION: $1000-$1300 Weekly
HIRING TIMELINE: Applications to be accepted until filled with a priority application deadline of 3/4/2024. Application review and interviews to be conducted starting 3/4/2024 with an anticipated start date of 06/03/24 and end date of 8/17/24.
The Williamstown Theatre Festival, renowned for its commitment to artistic excellence, is seeking a skilled and passionate Props Manager to join our team for the 2024 Season. Reporting to the Scenery Supervisor, this role is integral within the production department, overseeing the creation and sourcing of prop designs for multiple productions. The position will begin remotely on a part-time basis starting April 15th.
- Oversee the construction, sourcing, and operation of any props during load-in, rehearsals, technical rehearsals, and performances.
- Source any rehearsal room props or stand-ins, ensuring all items are in good condition and ready for use by actors during rehearsals.
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues related to props as they arise. Perform any maintenance as needed.
- Develop plans for the load-in, strike, and storage of props that ensures an efficient and timely process.
- Work with the Scenery Supervisor to ensure all prop elements are in compliance with any applicable safety standards and protocols.
- Assist in the load-in and load-out of campus spaces, including offices and workspaces, equipment counting, and off-season storage.
- Collaborate with production directors, scenic designers, and Scenery Supervisor to interpret and implement the desired props for each production.
- Address and resolve any schedule or labor issues with the rest of the production team.
- Work closely with the Scenery Supervisor and other production department heads to ensure seamless integration of props into the overall production design.
- Assist in the training and mentorship of prop team members and seasonal staff, fostering a culture of continuous learning and skill development.
- Embrace the Festival’s commitment to EDIA and Anti-Racism by actively participating in and encouraging behaviors among staff members that exemplify respect; interrupting microaggressions and other behaviors that hinder our EDIA and Anti-Racism efforts; engaging in the diversification of the workforce; demonstrating a degree of cultural competency that encourages healthy relationships with all company members.
- Coordinate with the Scenery Supervisor to set work schedules for the prop team, ensuring adequate coverage during load-ins, technical rehearsals, and performances.
- Assist in tracking prop department budgets, materials purchasing, and maintenance.
- Ensure that safe working practices are maintained in any facilities used by the prop department staff, adhering to all festival safety protocols.
- Partake in season debrief meetings and create documentation of notes that will better serve the position and prop department next summer.
- Customarily and regularly direct the work of two or more other employees, and whose suggestions and recommendations as to the advancement, promotion, or any other change of status of other employees are given particular weight.
- The Williamstown Theatre Festival does not require a specific number of years of experience or have a minimum for educational credentials.
- Proven experience as a Prop Manager in a professional theatre setting, demonstrating expertise in procuring and maintaining props for various theatrical productions.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and management skills, with a track record of working with diverse teams in a supportive and collaborative environment.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic production environment, with the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and timelines.
- Must be able to work long shifts on feet.
- An essential function of this job is in-person work in Williamstown, MA.