POSITION: Wardrobe Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Seasonal - Full Time
REPORTS TO: Costumes Supervisor
SUPERVISES: Costumes Staff
LOCATION: Williamstown, MA
COMPENSATION: $1000-$1200 Weekly
HIRING TIMELINE: Applications to be accepted until filled with a priority application deadline of 3/4/2024. Application review and interviews to be conducted starting 3/4/2024 with an anticipated start date of 06/03/24 and end date of 8/17/24.
The Williamstown Theatre Festival, renowned for its commitment to artistic excellence, is seeking a skilled and passionate Wardrobe Manager to join our team for the 2024 Season. Reporting to the Costumes Supervisor, this role is integral within the production department, overseeing the care and management of all costume pieces for multiple productions.
- Oversee the organization and maintenance of the wardrobe department, ensuring the timely preparation and distribution of costumes for rehearsals, performances, and other production-related events.
- Supervise the dressing and quick changes during performances, coordinating with the production team to ensure smooth transitions.
- Manage the laundering, repairs, and alterations of costumes as needed, maintaining the quality and integrity of the wardrobe throughout the season.
- Troubleshoot and resolve costume-related issues as they arise. Perform any equipment maintenance as needed.
- Source any material, expendable, or equipment needs for the wardrobe department.
- Assist in the load-in and load-out of campus spaces, including offices and workspaces, equipment counting, and off-season storage.
- Collaborate with costume designers and the costumes team to understand the desired production aesthetics and wardrobe needs for multiple productions.
- Address and resolve any schedule or labor issues with the rest of the production team.
- Work closely with the Costumes Supervisor and other production department heads to ensure seamless integration of costume elements into the overall production design.
- Assist in the training and mentorship of costumes team members and seasonal staff, fostering a culture of continuous learning and skill development.
- Embrace the Festival’s commitment to EDIA and Anti-Racism by actively participating in and encouraging behaviors among staff members that exemplify respect; interrupting microaggressions and other behaviors that hinder our EDIA and Anti-Racism efforts; engaging in the diversification of the workforce; demonstrating a degree of cultural competency that encourages healthy relationships with all company members.
- Coordinate with the Costumes Supervisor to set work schedules for the wardrobe team, ensuring adequate coverage during work hours, technical rehearsals, and performances.
- Assist in tracking wardrobe department budgets, materials purchasing, and equipment maintenance.
- Ensure that safe working practices are maintained in any facilities used by the wardrobe department staff, adhering to all festival safety protocols.
- Partake in season debrief meetings and create documentation of notes that will better serve the position and wardrobe department next summer.
- Customarily and regularly direct the work of two or more other employees, and whose suggestions and recommendations as to the advancement, promotion, or any other change of status of other employees are given particular weight.
- The Williamstown Theatre Festival does not require a specific number of years of experience or have a minimum for educational credentials.
- Proven experience as a Wardrobe Manager in a professional theatre setting, demonstrating expertise in costume design execution for various theatrical productions.
- In-depth knowledge of costume management techniques, practices, and decorum.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and management skills, with a track record of working with diverse teams in a supportive and collaborative environment.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic production environment, with the flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and timelines.
- Must be able to work long shifts on feet.
- An essential function of this job is in-person work in Williamstown, MA.