FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Machine Operator III performs changeovers, maintenance, and operates Computer Numerical Control (CNC) and/or conventional machines and equipment in the manufacturing of FN America components and products.
- Works from print drawings, instructions, and process documents, in the operation of assembly, conventional machines or CNC to run production components to the required specifications.
- Performs a variety of inspection and gaging operations using hard gages, micro-hite, micrometers, calipers, and/or CMMs to ensure part quality to the documented quality requirements.
- Performs offsets and tool changes with offset inputs to CNC machines and manual machines to produce conforming components and products into print specifications.
- Operates three to four machines following the sequence of operations for a product and change tools, grinding wheels, and endmills, drills.
- Operates one or more machines and part numbers simultaneously.
- Operates machines with three or more axes on computerized controls of CNC equipment.
- Performs machine changeovers, changes fixtures, changes programs, and qualifies first piece for production with minimal assistance from Machine Technicians, using knowledge of CNC concepts, theories and terminology.
- Monitors tool life to ensure quality.
- Operates machining fixtures with multiple sequential loading stations.
- Performs operator level maintenance on equipment at the documented level and frequency.
- Establishes and maintains a safe, clean, and healthful working environment in accordance with OHSA requirements and company standards, to include proper use of machining best practices, proper housekeeping, machine safeguarding, and personal protective equipment.
- Records necessary data and production values per the process requirements.
- Assists with the implementation of lean principles and methods, engages in activities that create a continuous improvement environment, sustains lean processes, suggests areas of improvement in safety, quality, cost, delivery, and actively supports lean, 5S, and value stream management initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required.
Two years experience in a machining environment utilizing vertical, horizontal, lathe CNC and/or conventional machines performing changeovers, tool and coordinate offsets, and tooling offsets is required.
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, effective communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional requirements of this position include:
- Ability to operate three or more machines following the sequence of operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of metal cutting machines (manual and CNC), tools, and inspection methods.
- Ability to use machining fixtures with multiple sequential loading stations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of print reading and dimensional tolerancing.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to follow policies and procedures.
- Basic Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T) knowledge.
- Ability to meet productivity standards, observe safety and security procedures, and adapt to changes in the work environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment and group problem solving situations.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Fine motor, mechanical, and troubleshooting skills.
CNC Certification preferred.
Typical manufacturing environment with exposure to loud noises and dangerous chemicals and machinery. Must be able to lift and move up to 25 pounds unassisted.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522.
We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor.