The role of the Director of Human Resources involves strategic planning and overseeing of various human resources functions, including talent acquisition, compensation, benefits, training, employee relations, safety, and compliance. This position is responsible for the administration of human resources programs and policies that reflect Cathedral Catholic's mission and values, support school goals and objectives, and positively engage the employees. The Director of Human Resources also possesses an extensive and up-to-date understanding of federal and state employment laws to advise leadership with solutions for human resources issues and evolving organizational needs.
- Responsible for providing all HR services to the campus community.
- Continually evaluates the school’s HR programs and services to assess competitiveness for attracting and retaining talent. Develops methods for collecting feedback internally on program satisfaction and modifies programs as needed.
- Utilizes available technology to maximize operational efficiencies and provide enhanced delivery of HR services to the campus community.
- Collaborates with the school president in investigating all claims of employment discrimination and ensure that all appropriate steps are taken to resolve such matters in a timely manner.
- Acts as a liaison in assisting employees with workplace accommodations under federal and local disability laws.
- Develops, implements, and manages all HR policies in a consistent and fair method.
- Designs recruitment strategies with school president and principal to encourage highly qualified individuals to apply for vacancies. Provides guidance to hiring administrators and search committees with the interview and selection process.
- Facilitates communications between and among employees and management to include counseling, conflict resolution, meeting facilitation, and teambuilding. Monitors the annual review process to verify that all employees receive performance evaluations.
- Plans new employee orientation programs to foster a positive attitude toward Cathedral Catholic’s mission, while introducing new personnel to important school policies.
- Provides high quality, accessible benefit programs for employees that are affordable, reflect the school’s Catholic identity, and support employees in balancing work and family responsibilities. Periodically compare the school’s benefit programs to other organizations to ensure that the availability of coverage and the associated costs are competitive.
- Works with the school facilities directors, director of security, Diocese of San Diego, the school’s legal counsel, and Risk Management office to provide employees with a safe and effective workplace. Monitors the investigation of any employee related accident and coordinates any applicable workers compensation coverage.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the school president.
- One (1) Human Resources Support Administrator
- Active, practicing Roman Catholic
- Respects and understands a Catholic school philosophy.
- Exceptional people skills
- Must have a strong initiative and desire to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Excellent time management skills, communication skills and organizational skills
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Computer literate
- Maintains the highest standards of discretion and confidentiality
- Master’s degree is required, but material, demonstrated successful experience may be considered in lieu of master’s degree.
- At least five years’ experience is required. Experience in a not-for-profit and Catholic environment preferred.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to remain in an office at a computer workstation and access information from a computer and use a phone system. The employee is required to be mobile to, from, and within the office, as well as maneuver throughout the school facility to attend meetings, briefings, and other work-related events. The employee may be required to conduct trips to, from, and within various city and county-wide locations to attend meetings or events. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Cathedral Catholic High School, as part of the Catholic Diocese of San Diego, is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.