Assists with direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal day camp. Helps Counselor I's with planning, teaching, coordinating, carrying out activities and guiding campers in their person growth and daily living skills. Provides a quality experience to children and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
1. Supervises a group of children.
2. Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth
3. Plans and implements program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
4. Provides supervision for campers during transportation to and from camp or during scheduled field trips.
5. Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
6. Participate in staff trainings and meetings.
7. Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
8. Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
9. Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
10. Perform other related duties as assigned.
1. High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
2. Ages 17-20.
3. Previous experience working with children preferably in a day camp setting
4. Ability to communicate with campers, recognize hazards, deal effectively with inappropriate behavior.
5. Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc…
6. Previous experience with diverse populations preferred.
Ability to plan, lead and participate in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings.
Drug screening and fingerprinting must be completed within 30 days of employment.