Terms of Employment: Full-Time/Temporary/Salaried (approximately 6 months with extension possible)
Location: New York Civil Liberties Union, 125 Broad Street, NY, NY
Salary: Subject to the NYCLU’s attorney salary scale which is based on years of legal experience (minimum salary is $77,000 with 3 years of relevant experience)
Application Deadline: Applications will be considered until the position is filled
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU seeks an attorney with immigration experience and expertise to handle ongoing immigration litigation, including class actions, from February 2020 until September 2020 (with a possible extension).
The NYCLU’s Legal Department is comprised of seventeen lawyers, an investigator, three paralegals, a data analyst, and a senior legal assistant. Legal Department staff work on a wide range of civil rights and civil liberties cases in federal and state courts and in administrative tribunals. They also support the legislative, advocacy, and communications work of the NYCLU.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assume substantial responsibility for a docket of civil immigration cases pending in federal courts in New York. The staff attorney will have responsibility for all phases of district court litigation, including preparing motions and briefs, conducting discovery, presenting oral arguments, negotiating settlements, and monitoring final judgments;
• Engage in immigration-related advocacy work of the legal department, which includes working with the NYCLU’s policy, field, and communications departments; work with NYCLU offices around New York; work with other advocacy organizations and elected officials; participate in public education on civil liberties issues by speaking at public events; and publishing articles and essays;
• Participate in immigration-related strategic planning for the legal department.
• Experience litigating immigration cases, ideally in federal court;
• Experience litigating in federal court, ideally including class actions;
• Excellent writing, research, analytical, and communication skills;
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a diverse, public-interest setting and to foster and support diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace;
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to advocate effectively, including an ability to initiate and follow through on public-interest litigation or advocacy; and
• Admission to the New York Bar.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter that includes your unique qualifications for this position, and where or how you learned of this job posting via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/231464/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Immigration-Staff-Attorney .
Applications will be accepted and reviewed immediately. Qualified candidates may be asked to submit additional information, including performance samples and references from people they have worked with in the past.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.