For over 40 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
Under general supervision, perform a variety of administrative and receptionist duties including greeting and assisting visitors, residents, and potential applicants; screening and directing incoming calls; ensuring front desk is attended at all times during normal business hours; processing and distributing mail; maintaining the appearance of all common areas; undertaking specialist projects, as needed; and performing other administrative duties, as assigned.
• Perform prompt opening (8 am) and closing procedures (5 pm).
• Greet and assist visitors, vendors, candidates for employment, potential applicants, and current residents in a pleasant, calm, and professional manner, especially in stressful situations, being careful to treat everyone fairly. Refer to other staff members or convey written messages, as necessary.
• Receive and route office telephone calls using multi-line telephone system in a professional and friendly manner, answering questions, taking messages, and making appropriate referrals.
• Forward Call Center messages to the appropriate people; maintain the summary log.
• Monitor general Bellwether Housing email inbox; respond to or route messages to the appropriate people.
• Assist potential applicants over the telephone, and in person, with the resident screening and application process. Provide direction for using a computer in the lobby to locate available apartment units.
• Receive, process, and route mail to the appropriate people. Route mail via courier. Receive and distribute packages.
• Log and scan incoming checks, then route to the South Lake Union office via courier.
• Maintain appearance of all common areas including the lobby, conference rooms, drop-in desks, the wellness room, and the kitchen.
• Perform a variety of general office support duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Embody Bellwether values of respect, integrity, community, and excellence in your work.
• Contribute and participate as a member of the Bellwether team to troubleshoot problems as they arise, suggesting/initiating procedural changes, as needed.
• Work together with all Bellwether coworkers to learn effectively from and with each other, and to incorporate lessons learned.
• Attend trainings and meetings, as directed.
• Undertake other duties, as assigned.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
• Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented, and accurate.
• Ability to understand, interpret, and apply general administrative and departmental policies and procedures.
• Exceptional customer service skills, including problem-solving and the ability to respond quickly and tactfully to customer requests.
• Ability to exercise discretion and always maintain confidentiality.
• Dependable and self-motivated; skilled at multi-tasking, meeting deadlines, and producing high quality work.
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
• Positive attitude a must.
• Prior experience interacting with and serving a diverse population.
• Prior experience working with people who speak English as a second language.
• Proficient with SharePoint.
Other Position Requirements:
• Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Hours: Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Compensation: $20.00 - $22.00 per hour, depending on experience. Generous benefits.
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b) retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, disability (short- and long-term); employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, including the diversity of thought. We consider all applicants without regard to education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.