U.S. Soccer Overview
We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and by supporting members, impacting athletes, and serving fans. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture and an atmosphere for professional development.
The Content Director oversees the strategy for all U.S. Soccer's content across multiple distribution platforms to achieve U.S. Soccer’s business and brand objectives. Working closely with Communications, Brand, Marketing, Analytics, and the Corporate Partnerships departments, the Content Manager is responsible for driving increased fan engagement, building brand affinity, promoting Federation initiatives and satisfying Federation obligations.
The position is responsible for managing the creation of high quality written, audio, photo and video content that will be distributed on ussoccer.com, the U.S. Soccer app, social media networks, third party distribution, linear broadcast networks, email and publications. The position requires the ability to think and plan strategically, manage staff, agencies and production groups, lead the production of content (written, video, audio and graphic), edit and organize content, meet deadlines, proactively contribute across multiple areas of the business and be flexible on a day-to-day basis.
Responsible for strategy & planning for all U.S. Soccer content
• Develop and map content strategy and concepts for the long-term that are based on Federation strategies and brand narrative which promote the organization, the sport and meet Federation obligations across all areas of the organization. For example, the Men's National Team, Women's National Team, Youth National Teams, Development Academy, Open Cup, and other programs (such as Coaching, Refereeing and Membership Programs)
• Create robust, detailed content plans informed by insight-based consumer journeys around large events (ex. World Cups, Olympics) far in advance using a mix of content mediums (video, graphics, photo, and written) to allow for creative development and fulfillment of U.S. Soccer obligations
• Continual development of new, innovative ideas to implement into content strategy and strengthen the brand and connection to fans
• Research and disseminate best practices from sports and other industries
• Incorporate objective insights and measurement into content planning and decision-making, set performance goals, analyze performance metrics and evaluate programming for ongoing optimization
Manage staff and outside agencies in the creation of high-quality content
• Oversee and manage content development team (in-house staff, consultants and third-party creators) to plan, schedule and implement content initiatives across U.S. Soccer's online assets (ussoccer.com, app, social media channels, and email) as well as media partners and other distribution channels
• Provide support for Content Producers while creating program specific content plans around National Team camps, Development Academy competitions, and other events and areas
Oversee content execution
• Ensure content is consistent in terms of quality, style, brand expression, and tone of voice across platforms to optimize user experience and contribute to the overall brand identity of U.S. Soccer
• Review and edit content before publication/distribution
• Work with the Analytics Department to publish content on the website with a user-first approach
• Bachelor's degree required
• 5+ years of experience with digital content strategy and creation and proven ability to use content to further brand and business objectives
• Exhibits a genuine desire and passion for the business
• Passion for storytelling, design and elevating brands through digital mediums
• Strong understanding of digital media, including all types of content, social media, websites, etc. as well as the content distribution landscape and the advantages of different distribution strategies and platforms
• Knowledgeable and interested in keeping up with the latest trends in pop culture, design, music, lifestyle, fashion, etc.
• Proficient in Google Analytics
• Comfortable using data to develop and optimize strategy.
• Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects on varying timelines
• Self-starter with strong organizational and collaboration skills
• Effective communication skills (both oral and written)
• Able and willing to travel up to 40% of the time
• Able and willing to work non-traditional hours including weekends, evenings and holidays as needed
• Google GA certification is a plus
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity. Employees who work at U.S. Soccer have the following attributes:
• Adopt a company centric approach—Serve the Athlete and the Fan
• Embrace and see learning as a lifelong pursuit
• Possess a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
• Practice self-assessment and self-reflection
• Open to criticism and does not make excuses
• Possess a tireless work ethic
• Wants to be part of a team that wins
• Has the ability to be firm but fair
• Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner
• Build relationships through genuine interpersonal skills