Position: Senior Staff Attorney
Terms of Employment: Full-Time/Exempt
Location: New York Civil Liberties Union, 125 Broad Street, NY, NY
Salary: Subject to the NYCLU’s attorney salary scale which is based on years of legal experience (minimum salary is $103,000 with 8 years of experience)
Application Deadline: Friday, February 24, 2020 (applications will be considered until the position is filled).
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU seeks an experienced attorney to lead and supervise litigation and related advocacy. The senior staff attorney will work on the full range of NYCLU issues and have responsibility for supervising the work of NYCLU staff attorneys and legal fellows. The NYCLU is particularly interested in applicants who have expertise in immigration, privacy & technology, reproductive rights, and/or criminal justice.
The NYCLU’s Legal Department is comprised of seventeen lawyers, an investigator, three paralegals, a data analyst, and a senior legal assistant. Legal Department staff work on a wide range of civil rights and civil liberties cases in federal and state courts and in administrative tribunals. They also support the legislative, advocacy, and communications work of the NYCLU.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop, conduct, and lead litigation in federal and state courts and in administrative forums. All NYCLU attorneys are responsible for identifying possible litigation and advocacy, preparing pleadings, motions, and briefs; conducting discovery; presenting oral arguments; handling appeals; negotiating settlements, and monitoring final judgments;
• Supervise the work of NYCLU staff attorneys conducting complex public-interest litigation;
• Engage in the advocacy work of the legal department, which includes working with the NYCLU’s advocacy, legislative and communications departments; work with NYCLU offices around New York; work with other advocacy organizations and elected officials; participate in public education on civil liberties issues by speaking at public events and publishing articles and essays;
• Participate in strategic planning for the legal department;
• Supervise and mentor law students as part of the NYCLU summer intern program, and contribute to the professional development of staff attorneys and paralegals.
• Eight years of civil litigation or related legal experience;
• Excellent writing, research, analytical, and communication skills;
• Substantial experience in complex public-interest litigation in federal court;
• Demonstrated ability to lead litigation teams and/or supervise attorneys and legal work;
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a diverse, public-interest setting and to foster and support diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace;
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to advocate effectively, including an ability to initiate and follow through on public-interest litigation or advocacy;
• Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights and to the priorities of the NYCLU; and
• Admission to the New York Bar.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your resume and cover letter that includes your unique qualifications for this position, where or how you learned of this job posting, and a recent writing sample that is wholly your own unedited work (submit a brief, motion, or memorandum of law, not to exceed 10 pages) via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/237654/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Senior-Staff-Attorney . Please upload the writing sample with your resume.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.