Position: Senior Research Analyst
Salary Range: $65,000 – 70,000
Business Unit: Research, Policy & Innovation
Department: Research, Policy & Innovation
Reports To: Sr. Manager, Data Performance & LMI
Posted: April 16- 30, 2020
Location: Philadelphia, PA
About Philadelphia Works, Inc.
Philadelphia Works, Inc is the City’s Workforce Development Board. We are a quasi-public, non-profit organization serving both career seekers and employers. We invest public resources in a variety of workforce solutions. These solutions connect Philadelphia residents with employment and training opportunities and help employers find, grow, and retain local talent. For more information about our dedicated board members and staff, workforce news, labor market data, services, innovative initiatives, and current opportunities to connect, please visit www.philaworks.org.
The Senior Research Analyst conducts data analyses, reporting, visualizations, mapping, and research support under the supervision of the Senior Manager, Data Performance and Labor Market Information for projects in the Research, Policy & Innovation Department. This position supports flexible teams across the organization.
This team-based position does in-depth reporting from program data, builds databases combining government and program sources, creates ad hoc reports and writes memos to answer research questions, provides analyses of data and data inputs for performance management, tracks and oversees the progress of pilot programs, automates data collection where possible, and writes reports. Other responsibilities include adding expert technical assistance and data visualization in meetings. Remote on-boarding available.
This position will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Ensure effective use of labor market information by maintaining current labor market analyses for strategic planning, informing the delivery of services for internal and external audiences. Make data actionable for programs.
2. Provide Geographic Information Systems (GIS) mapping and analyses of data to enhance the use of labor market information, analyze the demographic and industry composition of the region, and assist in the planning of service delivery.
3. Support all internal teams with accurate data, ad hoc analyses, and other information as needed.
4. Complete population, industry and occupational analyses in support of Board Committees and external partners. Analyze the needs of special populations and industries to benefit programs designed to best serve these cohorts.
5. Participate on evaluation research teams; gather and analyze program data. Assist in writing reports that evaluate results and recommend action.
6. Work with community-based organizations with workforce-related programming to support their work.
7. Complete detail-oriented statistical analysis of data for accuracy.
8. Track program progress along a timeline in relation to other benchmarks.
9. Negotiate websites to capture data and other information in different formats.
10. Automate data collection and reporting in a SQL environment.
11. Build, combine and maintain databases as required.
12. Generate reports and when needed respond to ad hoc data requests from City departments and other partners.
13. Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Social Sciences, Statistics, Economics, Planning, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Business Administration, or a related field with 5 or more years of experience in data analysis, 1-2 years of experience leading projects, and 1+ years of experience explaining technical information to a non-technical audience. (Master’s degree preferred).
Or, any combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
• Knowledge of research methodologies, basic inferential statistics and spatial statistics, and application programming
• Intermediate knowledge of SPSS, R, or similar statistical software
• Knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS) is required; knowledge of ArcGIS is a plus
• Comfortable with management of large data sets
• Customer service oriented
• Ability to create queries in a SQL environment is a plus
• Ability to work both independently, with a strong sense of accountability and resourcefulness, and as a member of a team working together toward a common goal
• Able to explain technical issues to a lesser-skilled or non-technical audience
• Must be able to meet deadlines
• Strong critical thinking and analytical skills
• Intermediate skills in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
• Adherence to all guidelines for confidential and secure data
• Build ownership over projects and deliver on these regularly
• Ability to effectively relate to people of diverse educational and cultural backgrounds, government agencies, public officials, and all levels of management and staff
What We Offer
Philadelphia Works offers qualifying full time employees with a competitive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), tuition assistance, life and disability. We also offer company paid vacation, personal and sick leave days.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Philadelphia Works is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, transgender status, and gender identity), gender, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, familial status, religion, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual preference, political affiliation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws, in all matters pertaining to recruitment, selection, compensation, training, advancement and promotion, retention, discipline, and termination.