Position: Senior Research Analyst
Salary Range: $65,000 – 70,000
Business Unit: Research, Policy & Innovation
Department: Research, Policy & Innovation
Reports To: Sr. Manager, Data Performance & LMI
Posted: February 10- 24, 2020
The Senior Research Analyst provides support for research, data and analytic projects in the Department and support to flexible teams across the organization. This team-based position does in-depth reporting from program data, builds databases combining government and program sources, creates ad hoc reports and writes memos to answer research questions, provides analyses of data and data inputs for performance management, tracks and oversees the progress of pilot programs, automates data collection where possible and writes reports. Other responsibilities include reporting and adding expert technical assistance in meetings and data visualization.
This position will be responsible for the following duties:
• Ensure effective use of labor market information by maintaining current labor market information for strategic planning, informing the delivery services, and making it available to internal and external audiences. Make data actionable for programs.
• Provide Geographic Information Systems mapping and analysis of data to enhance the use of labor market information, analyze the demographic and industry composition of the region, and assist in the planning of service delivery.
• Support all internal teams with data and other information as needed.
• Complete population, industry and occupational analyses in support of Board Committees and external partners in analyzing the needs of special populations and industries.
• Participate on evaluation research teams; gathering and analyzing program data, and writing evaluation reports.
• Work with community-based organizations with workforce- related programming to support their work.
• Complete detail-oriented statistical analysis of data for accuracy.
• Track program progress along a timeline in relation to other benchmarks.
• Negotiate websites to capture data and other information in different formats.
• Automate data collection and reporting in a SQL environment.
• Build, combine and maintain databases as required.
• Generate reports and when needed respond to ad hoc data requests from City departments and other partners.
• Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Social Sciences, Statistics, Planning or Business Administration or a related field with 5 or more years of experience in data analysis, 1-2 years’ experience leading projects, and 3 or more years external relations/customer service. (Master’s degree preferred).
Or, any combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
• Knowledge of research methodologies, basic inferential statistics, spatial statistics, and application programming
• Intermediate knowledge of SPSS or similar statistical software
• Comfortable with management of large data sets
• Customer service oriented
• Ability to create queries in a SQL environment is a plus
• Ability to work independently and as a team member
• Able to explain technical issues to a lesser skilled audience
• Must be able to meet deadlines
• Strong critical thinking and analytical skills
• Intermediate skills in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point
• Adherence to all guidelines for confidential and secure data
• Build ownership over projects and deliver on these regularly
• Ability to effectively relate to people of diverse educational and cultural backgrounds, government agencies, public officials, and all levels of management and staff
• Knowledge of GIS is required; knowledge of ArcGIS is a plus
What We Offer
Philadelphia Works offers qualifying full time employees with a competitive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), tuition assistance, life and disability. We also offer company paid vacation, personal and sick leave days.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Philadelphia Works is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, transgender status, and gender identity), gender, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, familial status, religion, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual preference, political affiliation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws, in all matters pertaining to recruitment, selection, compensation, training, advancement and promotion, retention, discipline, and termination.