The Windows Systems Administrator 2 provides mid-level systems administration support at the NASA Glenn Research Center.
Tasks/activities include, but are not limited to:
- Applies advanced knowledge of concepts, processes, practices, and procedures on technical assignments.
- Performs work that requires advanced practical experience and training.
- Under general supervision, responsible for installing, configuring, and maintaining operating system workstations and servers, including virtual, cloud, as well as web servers, in support of business processing requirements.
- Performs software installations and upgrades to operating systems and layered software packages.
- Schedules installations and upgrades and maintains them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures.
- Monitors and tunes the system to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Ensures workstation/server data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions.
- Ensures data/media recoverability by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations.
- Supports media management through internal methods and procedures or through offsite storage and retrieval services.
- Develops and promotes standard operating procedures.
- Conducts routine hardware and software audits of workstations and servers to ensure compliance with established standards, policies, and configuration guidelines.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive operating system hardware and software configuration database/library of all supporting documentation.
Minimum/General Experience: 4 years of experience
Minimum Education: Bachelors Degree
- Public Trust with a Moderate Background Investigation (required) – 5 year period, National Agency Check records, DoD Defense Central Investigations Index, FBI name check, FBI fingerprint check, credit report covering 5 years, written inquiries to previous employers and references, interview with subject, spouse, neighbors, supervisor, co-workers, court records, law enforcement check, verification of educational degree
- U.S. Citizenship
- Strong working knowledge of Windows Server and Active Directory
- Experience with Veritas Backup Exec required
- Highly adaptive to a changing environment
- Excellent Customer Services Skills
- Able to professionally and effectively communicate to a diverse customer base, in a sometimes very high paced environment
- Time Management Skills and ability to work in a high paced environment