Woodruff is looking for an ACCOUNT MANAGER to join our fast-growing, employee-owned, full-service marketing agency. The account manager is responsible for the relationship between Woodruff and its clients. This person manages our clients’ needs through direct client contact, collaboration with internal teams and overseeing account service teams and projects. The account manager is the day-to-day representative of Woodruff to our clients and maintains a highly responsive, client-centric level of service in all interactions. You must be knowledgeable in both your client’s business and the agency business.
In this role, the account manager is the go-to team member on market knowledge and client information. They can predict client needs, bring unexpected ideas to them and exceed their expectations, all while managing teams, budgets and timelines. To be part of this mission, you must have 3-5 years agency account management experience. Experience in production agriculture preferred.
Does this sound like you? Let’s go deeper.
This person could work out of the Columbia, MO, Minneapolis, MN, or Kansas City, MO office.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Highly organized; able to manage significant amounts of information effectively
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Extremely thorough with tremendous attention to detail
- Proactive problem-solving
- Collaborative and able to work with a variety of personalities, disciplines and roles
- Intense listener; put information into action that gets results
- Resourceful and flexible; able to execute with minimal direction, often on short notice
- Market savvy; able to develop strategies appropriate for clients’ business and industry
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Captures client conversation details, questions, next steps and timing and creates project input for internal teams.
- Clearly outlines clients’ desired outcomes and POV to help Woodruff teams approach projects.
- Sets clear expectations of Woodruff and client with clients and internal teams.
- Organizes information in a timely, clear and concise manner.
- Works with project managers to develop project timelines.
- Monitors progress from start to finish.
- Proactively guides teams to help solve problems and ensure team members are updated.
Client Relationships & Business Growth:
- Has a deep knowledge of clients’ unique business needs and their industry, competitors, products, technologies, and trends.
- Knows clients’ internal structures and teams, their individual needs and motivators as well as their personal preferences.
- Understands how clients take their products and/or services to market and how Woodruff’s capabilities can help them in their business, consulting, upselling, cross-selling Woodruff services where appropriate.
- Helps guide the development of effective marketing, communications and advertising strategies and plans for clients.
- Builds trusting client relationships through frequent interactions and delivering Woodruff’s extraordinary outcomes confidently.
- Works with business development teams and others to onboard new clients.
- Works with account supervisor to present information, proposals, new ideas, issues and opportunities to clients.
- Works with account supervisor to identify organic growth opportunities.
- Participates in agency new business efforts as requested.
Team Leadership & Internal Relationships:
- Builds rapport and trusting relationships with internal teams.
- Collaborates with multiple internal teams to ensure projects are delivered on time and reflect Woodruff and client standards.
- Uses client profiles as well as other client information to onboard new team members to work on the clients’ business.
- Understands when and how to bring internal team members into client interactions.
- Leads account team in day-to-day efforts; delegates and regularly ensures account team is moving projects forward efficiently, proactively solves problems, resolves conflicts and provides guidance for team questions.
- Drives adoption of account management best practices through example setting, positive reinforcement and taking corrective action in real time.
- Partners with internal teams to plan project size and workflows and ensure all aspects are accounted for when developing scopes, value, time frames and pricing.
- Updates agency staff on client news as well as highlights projects, including goals, workflows, outcomes and results, and presents this information to all staff in staff meetings and other agency gatherings.
Financial Management of Accounts:
- Participates in budgeting and planning discussions. Works with account supervisor to become well-versed in maximizing budget allocation based on client objectives and strategies.
- Prepares scope of work and scope of value descriptions and provides accurate and detailed information to develop pricing.
- Communicates transparently and proactively about scope changes and change orders with clients.
- Reviews invoices and ensures billing schedules are followed. Works with junior account team to review billing explanations and recaps for clients.
- Works with account supervisor on quarterly forecasting for assigned clients. Grows financial literacy through understanding of gross revenue, agency fees, out-of-pocket job costs, AGI, and profitability measures.
- Expectation setting, including working with your supervisor on new staff orientation, training and work assignment.
- Regular communication, including one-on-ones, conflict resolution, philosophy guidance and ongoing coaching and mentoring.
- Employee enrichment, including working with your supervisor on goal setting, timely performance reviews and ongoing feedback.
How leaders act on a daily basis as they seek to implement the company’s vision and strategic priorities, strive to fulfill the brand promise and live up to the value. Everyone can be a leader.
- Open-minded and active listener
- Continually grows people and business
- Truthful and transparent
- Decisive, accountable and proactive
- Forward thinking
- Communicates in a positive manner
- B.A. or B.S. degree; a degree in a discipline related to advertising, marketing, journalism or communications
- 3-5 years of agency experience
- Production agriculture experience
- Background in mid-level marketing positions and/or demonstrated superior performance as an account executive.