REPORTS TO: VP of Strategy and Innovation
STATUS: Exempt, salaried, full-time
LOCATION: Chicago, Illinois
ABOUT ALL CHICAGO:
On an average night in 2018, nearly 5,500 people could be found on our streets and in our shelters. Tens of thousands more are just one unexpected setback away from joining them. These are our neighbors, this is our city, and together we can ensure that we all have stable homes.
All Chicago strengthens our community’s collective efforts to end homelessness, guided by a vision of impact, influence, and inspiration. As our name implies, All Chicago brings together corporations, foundations, non-profits, service providers, individual donors, and volunteers from all neighborhoods and backgrounds in a united effort to make homelessness history in Chicago.
All Chicago manages the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), a system which manages data on Chicagoans experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness and the services they receive. Our team supports more than 1000 individuals with training, helpdesk services, and running and interpreting reports. Chicago also leverages this data to drive allocation decisions, set strategy and policy, and monitor progress toward ending homelessness.
We bring a sense of urgency to our work, and actively seek to maintain a culture of innovation and collaboration. Come work with passionate, like-minded colleagues in a supportive environment as we help end homelessness.
Learn more at www.allchicago.org
The Director is an essential position for HMIS system transformation, management and operational excellence. The Director, under the supervision of the VP of Strategy and Innovation, manages the day to day activities of team members whose roles include software development, business analysis, user training and helpdesk support. The departmental team works with the community to refine the structure of the HMIS system, creates reports, conducts in-person training and provides technical assistance for users across the Chicago Continuum of Care (CoC). The needs of the community are evolving, and the Director helps ensure that the HMIS team shares data through accurate and innovative means. The Director is responsible for managing time sensitive projects, overseeing project scheduling, execution, monitoring, and completion. The position ensures timely and effective communications across both internal and external teams. The Director is responsible for supervising staff and providing on-going guidance, mentorship, feedback and motivation to staff to ensure competent performance while adhering to department and HR policies and procedures. The ideal candidate has strong data analysis and problem-solving skills for delivering high quality solutions.
Project Management and Technical Oversight (approx.60%)
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of guidance from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) around the implementation of HMIS, HMIS data and technical standards, as well as other local, state, and federal regulations and guidelines for the implementation of HMIS and the HMIS software package.
- Oversees all the project planning activities of the HMIS team, including the development of work plans and ensuring follow up and task completion.
- Oversees system upgrades and relevant version controls; identifies impacts and communicates in a timely manner.
- Oversees refinement of the HMIS system to improve service delivery for clients.
- Responsible for the oversight of relevant internal and external committees/meeting preparation, staffing, facilitation, and reporting.
- Oversees the creation and provision of HMIS technical assistance and training plans for system users and stakeholders.
- Provides ongoing data quality analysis and reporting oversight.
- Gathers and documents detailed business requirements and translates them into the technical specification for development.
- Can interpret and data complex queries written in TS-SQL and/or python.
- Can use data exploration tools such Tableau, Power BI and Business Objects to access and review data within a cloud-based data warehouse platform.
Relationship Building (approx. 20%)
- Ensures cross-departmental collaboration.
- Manages the relationship with IT consultants and software vendors for HMIS-related requests for assistance, system upgrades, and equipment purchases
- Maintains familiarity with current homeless services data management best practices, the work of the Chicago CoC and other relevant topics through independent research, formal workshops and conferences.
- Oversees the development of departmental communication materials to ensure accuracy and consistency of messaging to all users.
- Works collaboratively across the CoC service providers, the City of Chicago and other government entities as needed.
- Presents at public forums (local and nationally) and to relevant stakeholders
Strategic Planning (approx. 15%)
- Acts as an ambassador for All Chicago in all settings, demonstrating a commitment to the organizational mission and the CoC system priorities.
- Works closely with the VP of Strategy and Innovation to oversee the development and implementation of the Information Services department’s strategic plan objectives and ensures they are in alignment with the organization.
- Demonstrates excellent stewardship of departmental and organizational resources while ensuring fiscal accountability, budget & contract compliance.
- Develops and manages a high performing team, ensuring succession plans are in place.
- Provides appropriate supervision to staff, ensuring the completion of annual professional development plans, performance reviews, ongoing monitoring (leave requests, ensure accuracy of hours worked and adherence to HR policies and procedures) and the related hiring and training for these positions.
- Creates an annual professional development plan and actively works to meet identified benchmarks throughout the year.
Other Tasks (approx. 5%)
- Perform data entry when needed or required.
- Actively participate in staff and team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Academic: Master’s Degree in Information Systems, Business, Computing, Statistics preferred; or bachelor’s Degree and equivalent work experience in related field.
Years of Experience: 5+ years professional experience with increasing levels of responsibility and supervisory responsibility.
- Two to four years programming and report-writing experience.
- Strong project management skills required.
- Strong management skills with the ability to motivate, stimulate and inspire teams to maximize their efforts in productivity and quality.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of web applications, technical workflows, analysis and evaluation in technical systems in the job-related field.
- Familiarity with cloud architectural design, management, and monitoring.
- Experience with HMIS preferred.
- Experience with Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Proficiency with SAP Business Objects Web Intelligence a plus.
- Experience Microsoft Power BI and/or SSRS.
- Experience with creating and maintaining technical documentation.
- Good working knowledge/skills with Microsoft Office Suite of products including, but not limited to, Word, PowerPoint, familiarity with high-level Excel formulas and features is preferred.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to convey information in a clear and concise manner to groups with varying levels of technical expertise
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to be flexible and work hard, both independently and in a team environment.
- Willingness to work occasionally outside of normal business hours and to take on more responsibilities as assigned
- A strong work ethic, integrity and the highest ethical standards are expected.
- This position may require out-of-state travel approximately two times a year.
- Passion for inclusivity and diversity, and interest in being part of a multicultural team.
- Work place is a smoke- and drug-free environment.
- Intermittent travel to off-site locations required.
- Position requires frequent and regular computer and phone use.
- This position requires attendance during regular business hours from 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. Occasional night and weekend hours are required a few times a year.
- All Chicago is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. All Chicago does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. All Chicago is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package (with some employee contributions) includes medical, dental, vision insurance, and disability. Employer-matched retirement plan. Generous paid leave.
- Please apply online with cover letter addressing our stated qualifications, resume, and your salary range requirement in Microsoft Word or PDF format only.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Position begins as soon as possible. No phone calls, please.