Woodruff is on the lookout for an ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE to join our fast-growing, employee-owned, full-service marketing agency. The account executive is responsible for the execution of client projects from start to finish. Account executives maintain and track projects to ensure they move through Woodruff’s processes smoothly and efficiently. They keep an eye out for issues, problem-solve and implement improvements for efficiency and better outcomes. The account executive must effectively manage scopes of work and client budgets while developing an understanding of our clients’ businesses.
Does this sound like a role you could thrive in? If so, let’s talk.
This person can work out of our Columbia, MO, Kansas City, MO or Minneapolis, MN office.
Knowledge and Skills
- Extremely thorough with tremendous attention to detail
- Organized and able to manage significant amounts of information efficiently
- Desires to learn and seek information; asks questions and absorbs information
- Collaborative and able to work with a variety of personalities, disciplines and roles
- An excellent listener who can put many different inputs into action
- Resourceful and flexible
- Follows processes but is not paralyzed by them
- A proactive problem-solver; identifies solutions before problems escalate
- Understands clients’ businesses, industries, problems, opportunities and needs
- Contributes to go-to-market strategies and plans as well as budget discussions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Accurately captures client conversation notes and creates project input for internal teams. Clearly outlines clients’ desired outcomes and POV to help Woodruff teams approach projects.
- Sets clear expectations with clients and internal teams. Proactively identifies and solves problems.
- Captures details, questions, next steps and timing from internal discussions and facilitates internal communication to ensure everyone is on the same page. Organizes information in a timely, clear and concise manner.
- Develops documents and communications that guide projects internally, including job input forms, kickoff and status documents, meeting notes and project tracking software posts.
- Works with project managers to develop project timelines. Monitors progress from start to finish to ensure projects are moving through Woodruff’s processes smoothly.
- Contributes to job status reports, works with account coordinator to ensure accuracy and timeliness. Leads status meetings with internal and external teams.
- Regularly updates account team and clients on the progress of each project. Understands workflows and helps plan for additional projects as they come in.
- Reviews all work prior to sending or presenting to clients to ensure accuracy based on Woodruff teams’ and clients’ input.
- Reviews and proofs media plans, and distributes insertion and materials due dates to internal teams.
- Develops and/or edits documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Enters information into a variety of formats such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Apps, Keynote, etc. to ensure client and project information is organized and easily accessible.
- Contributes to agency projects as requested.
Client Relationships & Business Growth
- Becomes familiar with clients’ business needs by researching their industries, competitors, products, technologies, and trends. Understands clients’ internal structures, teams and individual needs as well as their personal preferences. Shares this information with team members.
- Understands how clients take their products and/or services to market, and how Woodruff’s capabilities and services can help them.
- Tracks and shares client competitor activity, including media exposure and strategy, social media and online presence, e-commerce platforms, new products and changes within competitors’ business and industry.
- Works with account coordinators to ensure client profiles are accurate and up-to-date.
- Works with internal teams to prepare and present information, proposals, new ideas, issues and opportunities to clients.
- Understands clients’ businesses and is able to identify opportunities for clients to increase their use of Woodruff services.
Team Leadership & Internal Relationships
- Builds rapport and trusting relationships with internal teams. Collaborates with multiple internal teams to ensure projects are delivered on time and reflect Woodruff and client standards.
- Uses client profiles as well as other client information to help onboard new internal team members to the clients’ businesses.
- Partners with internal teams to plan project size and workflows and ensure all aspects are accounted for when developing scopes of work, value, time frames and pricing.
Financial Management of Accounts
- Supports clients and internal teams in budgeting and planning discussions. Works on budget allocation based on client objectives and strategies.
- Helps develop scope of work and scope of value descriptions and provides accurate and detailed information to develop pricing.
- Proactively communicates with internal teams and clients regarding project size and scope, expectations, deliverables, timing and price.
- Tracks and manages scopes of work; identifies changes in scope and creates change orders in partnership with account lead and production.
- Reviews invoices, ensures billing schedules are followed and prepares explanations and recaps for clients.
How leaders act on a daily basis as they seek to implement the company’s vision and strategic priorities, strive to fulfill the brand promise and live up to the value. Everyone can be a leader.
- Open-minded and active listener
- Continually grows people and business
- Truthful and transparent
- Decisive and accountable
- Forward thinking
- Proactive and communicates in a positive manner
- B.A. or B.S. degree; a degree in a discipline related to advertising, marketing, journalism or communications is a plus
- 3+ years of agency experience is preferred