Do you have what it takes to keep up with one of the fastest-growing companies in America? If you work hard, play hard and your tail’s always wagging, there may be a place for you at the most innovative name in pet insurance – Petplan!
Our headquarters are buzzing with talented professionals – and their pets! – who are helping Petplan turn the pet insurance industry on its tail. We’re looking for candidates who can balance the wisdom that comes from solid work experience with the passion to push the limits and always take a fresh approach.
We love people who come to work to create, collaborate and contribute – and have fun doing it! In spite of our explosive growth, we’ve maintained our entrepreneurial spirit, which means we work as a team, celebrate each other’s achievements and give it all we’ve got, every day.
The Assistant Controller will ideally be an accounting and finance rock star. Reporting to the Controller, this individual will be responsible for day-to-day financial activities, including production of accurate financial records as well as overseeing the payroll, accounts payable, and other accounting functions. Additionally, the Assistant Controller will support the company and the CFO in the audit process and in management of Petplan’s financial affairs. A high level of adaptability, curiosity and the “hunger” to work within a fast-paced work environment are a must for this role.
• Supervise Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and two (2) or more accounting/finance team members
• Track and record cash receipts
• Process payables including review of invoices, maintenance of current vendor database, and 1099 processing
• Review and process expense reports
• Review/Approve bank account reconciliations including researching discrepancies
• Coordinate and support the audit process through preparation of reports and schedules
• Analyze business process and recommend control improvements to the Controller and CFO
• Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate the organization's fiscal function and performance, with subordinate accounting staff support, under the direction of the Controller
• Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the senior executives in performing their responsibilities
• Develop, implement and enforce policies/procedures that will improve overall finance and accounting operations
• Manage month end close process and financial reporting
• Maintain fixed assets database
• Evaluate finance department structure and team plan for continual group improvement, with the goal of providing individuals with opportunities for professional and personal growth
• Leverage bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash position
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
• 8+ years of accounting and leadership experience
• Active CPA license required
• Flexibility to travel an anticipated 1-2 days per week/several times per month to our NYC office
• Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel and familiarity with ERP accounting software required
• Substantial insurance industry experience; Property & Casualty insurance experience preferred
• Excellent time management and problem solving skills
• Champion for energetic, trustworthy, forward-thinking processes with high ethical standards
• Proven proficiency as a strategic planner with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and a strong operational focus
• Ability to be articulate and relate to people at all levels of the organization
• Effective leader with expert people management skills
The position is full time and employees receive competitive compensation. Other perks for the Petplan team include health, dental, matching 401k, paid vacation, and discounted pet insurance.
At Petplan, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Petplan is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.