About FirstLine Schools
In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. FirstLine now operates five PreK-8th grade schools. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
The Network Content Lead for K-2 is responsible for supporting schools and teachers in improving student achievement in grades K-2. Specifically, the K-2 Content Lead will lead the on-going refinement of math and literacy curriculum and assessments, network-wide teacher professional development and collaborative planning, and school leader professional development to support effective instructional practices in their schools. The ultimate aim of this role is to ensure that students achieve math and literacy fluency, proficiency in meeting the demands of grade level standards, and intellectual perseverance in order to provide the foundation that allows for success in rigorous, college preparatory programs.
The responsibilities of the K-2 Content Lead will be, although not limited to, the following:
Curriculum Development (in both math and ELA)
• Support the on-going refinement of shared curriculum units
• Lead the on-going refinement of FirstLine pedagogical frameworks for the teaching of literacy and math
• Lead an annual cycle of reviewing and revising scope and sequence for K-2 classes
• Support the design and implementation of proven interventions that target students whose skills are below expected levels
• Support school leaders with quality assurance practices in K-2 lesson planning
• Serve as a thought-partner for PreK curriculum selection
Data Tracking, Assessment & Reporting
• Track and analyze data to better improve K-2 performance outcomes
• Develop and provide guidance on formative assessment practices to drive improved instruction, curriculum, and layers of learning support
• Collaborate regularly with school leaders and the network academic team to analyze student progress and identify exemplars and areas in need of support
• Support school leaders in understanding and implementing best practices of curriculum and data driven instructional practices
• Lead the network wide professional development for weekly collaborative professional development, new teacher training, and other network wide activities: these activities include lesson study, data driven instructional practices, analyzing student work, analyzing classroom instruction video, direct workshops, and applied practice
• Train teachers in best practices of K-2 curriculum and instruction – serving as a “critical friend” and coach to the teaching staff throughout the school year by modeling practice and providing ongoing informal observations and feedback to improve.
• Manage peer-to-peer collaboration, observations, and feedback among leaders and teachers across the FLS network, providing suggested schedules, structure and guidance required for school leaders/teachers to norm on evaluation practices and to provide each other with helpful feedback
• Support school leaders and teacher leaders in the delivery of professional development sessions for K-2
• Support school leaders in the development and implementation of individual professional development plans for teachers who need more support in teaching K-2
Education & Experience:
? Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred; Early childhood degree strongly preferred
? Five years teaching required preferably in a non-selective urban school
? Demonstrated success in improving student achievement in K-2
? Experience with and understanding of reading and math curriculum and instruction
? Demonstrated passion for early childhood
? Unwavering commitment to excellence and results
? Excellent communication and presentation skills (written and verbal)
? Strong interpersonal skills
? Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Desired Qualities & Characteristics:
? Believe in every student’s ability to achieve in a rigorous college or career prep curriculum
? Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
? Take personal responsibility
? Highly detail-oriented
? Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders
? Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
? Strong written and verbal communication skills
? Model the FirstLine Commitments:
? We Keep Learning
? We Work Together
? We Are Helpful
? We Are the Safekeepers of our Community
? We Share Joy
? We Show Results
? While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
? Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
Network K-2 Content Lead reports to Director of Teaching and Learning
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.