For 40 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle’s largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
Bellwether Housing is seeking a dynamic thoughtful leader with a collaborative and influential leadership style to manage a portfolio of affordable multi-family properties in the Seattle area. The Portfolio Manager role requires strong emotional and cultural intelligence to communicate effectively and respectfully with the residents we serve, from diverse racial, educational, and socio-economic backgrounds. The ideal candidate is an inspirational property management leader and change agent who can lead through a period of rapid expansion. A leader who can create a service-oriented environment that supports both the landlord / tenant relationship and the mission focus unique to non-profit affordable housing.
• Hiring building staff and supervising their performance and development.
• Develop and manage building marketing and leasing plans to maximize occupancy and ensure buildings are leased up quickly.
• Monitor building operations for compliance with established Bellwether policies and procedures, fair housing laws, and landlord/tenant regulations.
• Manage oversight and direction to 3rd party management companies who manage Bellwether owned buildings.
• Lead planning, coordination among departments and execution of new building lease ups to meet
• Collaborate with Maintenance and Asset Management to identify, plan and implement capital projects, and propose projects annually at budget time based upon building CNAs, energy-efficiency audits, and building inspections.
• Establish a collaborative working relationship with Resident Services and Maintenance to foster a team approach to goal setting, monitoring and achievement of service to residents.
• Ensure the completion of annual certifications. Partner with the Compliance Manager to resolve issues and obtain annual recertifications and funder reports completed accurately and by the due dates.
• Ensure Site Managers partner with Resident Services on resident needs, and actively engage in community building activities in properties.
• Create an environment that inspires a high level of service for residents to increase access to opportunities and resources that support resident stability. Monitor resident satisfaction and retention, and adjustments, when needed.
• Champion an environment of diversity, equity and inclusion with residents. Implement an action plan to support this inclusive environment and promote resident satisfaction and engagement.
• Participating as a member of the Property Management team, contributing to the development of property management and maintenance policies and procedures, and working collaboratively with other Bellwether departments.
• BA Degree (years of experience may be substituted for education)
• Minimum of 4 years’ experience as a multi-family Property, Portfolio or Regional Manager, responsible for a portfolio of affordable housing properties (minimum of 5 properties/ >500 units)
• Conversant in local, state and federal fair housing and landlord/tenant laws
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Highly organized and strong attention to detail, capable of taking personal initiative in a project as needed, making sure all work is completed and of high quality.
• Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality at all times.
• Exceptional customer service aptitude, including problem-solving skills and the ability to respond quickly and tactfully to customer requests.
• Strong HUD Section 8 and Tax Credit knowledge and experience
• Strong budgeting and property accounting experience
• Experience investigating resident grievances and alleged civil rights violations
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Collaborative leadership style and effective team builder
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel, Word, and Outlook.
• Proficiency with property management systems such as Yardi
• Hold a real estate broker’s license in Washington state
• CPM or equivalent certification.
• C3P, COS certification, or equivalent certification.
• Project management skills.
• Familiarity with Sound Families, HOPWA, and service enriched housing programs.
Portfolio: Bellwether properties vary in size from 9 units up to 164 units to comprise the portfolio of 32 properties and 2,106 units. Bellwether’s strategic plan aims to double the portfolio over the next 5 years and there are 750 units in the development pipeline, projected to open in 2021-2023. . Most are funded through the IRS Section 42 tax credit program, City of Seattle grants, and some have HUD Section 8 contracts or project-based units. All properties are income-restricted and require annual compliance reporting. Units are set aside for households with annual incomes between 30% to 80% of area median (AMI), with the majority between 50% to 60% AMI. Approximately one-third of Bellwether households have either Housing Choice Vouchers or occupy HUD Section 8 properties or project-based units.
Compensation: $$87,007 - $97,859 DOE
Benefits: If you’re working over 20 hour per week you can accrue 24 days of PTO in your first year. We have a 403(b)-retirement plan with employer matching after 15 months of service and we offer a health reimbursement plan to employees and dependents. We have flexible spending accounts, STD/LTD, life insurance, and commuter benefits.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, including the diversity of thought and experience. We are committed to building an open and inclusive culture for all employees. We consider all applicants without regard to education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience. All interested candidates are encouraged to apply.