Octopart is a searchable database of electronic components, and we aim to become the most comprehensive and trusted user-first
part data platform.
Octopart’s mission is to provide intuitive and useful access to all aspects of electronic parts for our users: electrical engineers,
purchasers, contract manufacturers, and makers. From a sophisticated search algorithm and user experience that helps them
quickly find the right parts, to comprehensive data that gives them confidence in parts’ viability and risk, Octopart endeavors to
save people time so that they can focus on designing the technology that powers our daily lives.
What you’ll do:
Your mission is to be a driving force of our engineering team as we move to a modern UI layer powered by TypeScript, React,
Next.js and GraphQL. As a member of the team you’ll work with product, design and engineering to implement UI components,
modify and maintain existing frontend elements, instrument UI components to help understand usage, develop and prototype new
UI ideas, and help specify and integrate with a new GraphQL API that is being developed internally.
What you’ll do:
- You will familiarize yourself with our existing tech stack (Next.JS, TypeScript, React, GraphQL) and begin to expand your
- knowledge within the necessary development areas.
- You will familiarize yourself with the current features of our core website, integrating yourself into the initiatives for new feature
- development, as well as maintenance of existing features.
- You will work with the design team to implement UI components that align with Octopart design goals, instrumenting them for
- You will develop new complex UI components from scratch, including any TypeScript prop + state definitions, hooks, tests, etc.
- and implement React components and GraphQL queries to create new UI components.
- You will implement next.js pages with viable getInitialProps that can work in both browser and server.
- You will create unit tests for components and work with QA to ensure correctness and quality of the code.
What we're looking for:
- You are an excellent communicator in both verbal and written mediums, able to synthesize complex information into clear and
- impactful messaging.
- You are a quick learner with a demonstrated ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information. While
- you may not be familiar with every piece of our tech stack, you are eager to learn about it.
- You have a thirst for acquiring new skills, understanding how things are interconnected and can articulate a plan to acquire
- new knowledge.
- You have a strong knowledge of web standards (HTML, CSS, JS), with experience implementing designs in the browser.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related fields, or equivalent training and work experience
- You have demonstrated experience working in React including recent features like hooks
- You are familiar with or aware of Next.js or other React SSR techniques
- You are familiar with the concepts of TypeScript and GraphQL. Concrete experience is a big bonus.
- Experience with browser performance is also a bonus.
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Generous health, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and flexible hours
- A beautiful new office in the Bryant Park district with great natural light
- The technology you prefer and the resources you need for a productive workspace
At Octopart, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our
employees, our customers, and our community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds,
perspectives, and skills. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Octopart is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.