a little bit about us
andculture is a design company.
Our human code is made of behaviors, grounded on values, lived intentionally day-in and day-out. We design and innovate alongside our clients, as partners, around the country, and push for the lightbulb moments. It solidifies our identity as A-HA hunters in the design world. The ‘culture of and’ guides us through our mission, while we pursue our vision and live our purpose to improve the world around us, through design, one experience at a time. We’re all grounded on the following values: courage, optimism, generosity, curiosity, vulnerability, and confidence.
Does that make sense to you? If your answer is ‘yes’, we’re off to a good start.
a little bit about the gig
You’ll be joining us as the director of our Human Centered Design team, where we believe that magic only happens when we push to make a difference through empathetic thinking, and to ultimately create great experiences for people.
In your role as Human Centered Design Director, you will play a critical role in systematically building a team of empathetic researchers, lead the innovative ways in which they tackle finding out more about humans, contribute insights and research outcomes that translate directly into user, business and product impact, and inspire clients and internal teams alike with your passion for human-centered thinking. You will drive the execution of research in HCD strategy. You will report to the Head of Experience, and lean into mentoring your team, finding ways to make our work bigger, better, broader in a team environment that collaborates and clashes to do the very best work. We do, and always will, set our bar super high. We aim to design experiences that over-deliver for our client partners, and most importantly, for their users. We don’t put our name on anything that is not amazing.
Like all of us at andculture, we really hope you like to do lots of fun, crazy, and exciting things! Here’s a list of the things we expect you can help us with:
- Develop the Human-Centered Design team in a purposeful way in order to increase their competence, confidence, and capability to make significant contributions at andculture and with our clients partners
- Vet and recruit talent and manage the interview process, offer and negotiation process, hiring process; continually review and revise salary brackets
- Lead the team to achieve results by selecting the right talent, getting the most out of each team member, leveraging the collaboration of people working together, and building team confidence and enthusiasm
- Establish internal and external growth paths for direct reports
- Support and encourage the team to develop their skill sets by way of internal or external training opportunities
- Ensure client partners are receiving the best results from your team
- Monitor activity of team through operational and account/project reviews and observing/coaching
- Provide thought leadership that leads to innovative work and best practices
- Occasionally support team by working on client partner projects, either determined by industry experience, workload, practitioner time, or legacy relationship
- Live and breathe andculture’s core values; practice and reinforce our behaviors; be our biggest brand champion
- Collaborate across disciplines, develop internal partnerships that improve processes and agency success
- Identify and set department goals that ladder up to agency goals; work with the team and across disciplines to collaborate on action plans when necessary, delegate goal responsibilities to direct reports
- Assist in reaching company goals by understanding the strategic vision of andculture, working collaboratively with leadership to set objectives that deliver results
- Assist with sales process by contributing to proposals with an approach, process definition, estimation, and/or pitching
- Participate in financial and allocation forecasting with andculture leadership team, COO and CEO
- Identify external learning and speaking engagements and participate either through speaking roles or networking opportunities
Human-Centered Design Responsibilities
- Engage andculture, agency, and client partners to build, execute, and deliver established customer insights and experiences aligned with the client’s business strategies
- Mentor the team that is designing and facilitating cross-functional workshops with internal and external partners including but not limited to in-depth interviews, stakeholder workshops, focus groups, brainstorming sessions, design thinking activities
- Make recommendations on project direction and type of research that will garner the best user feedback
- Engage in functions spanning from discovery, to prototype, design, and post-production, as well as maintenance and marketing
- Based on your user’s needs, you’ll synthesize go-forward tactics from your research methodology recommendations
- Perform secondary research including desk research, auditing content, analytics, trends, and best practices
- Conduct various user-centered design activities like ethnographic studies, competitive analysis, surveys, concept tests, diary studies, usability tests, user experience exercises, A/B tests, and various others
- Work to clearly define the problems users are encountering, and then work with the team on how to solve them, design them, test them, repeat
- Take opportunities to institute new points-of-views on trends and insights, and develop new processes that evolve our burgeoning research capability
- Be open to evolution. As we see how people work, we take a human-centered approach to their career at andculture. We give you guardrails coming in, but are open to our team members carving their own paths, too
An ideal candidate will have most of these skills & qualifications:
- 8+ years leading a team of human-centered design researchers to support product innovation and development such as ethnographic, user habits, consumer insights, user journeys, various types of mapping, prototyping, testing, and iteration
- Bachelor’s Degree in: UX Design, Anthropology, Sociology, Human-computer Interaction (HCI), or Design. Masters Degree, a plus.
- Clear, demonstrable experience seeing products from concept to delivery - we will want to see examples of how you think
- Display the ability to distill a complex multi-method research methodology into understandable, compelling, and actionable insights
- You have mastered and practice empathetic, human-centered research, that leads to a lean design process
- You have demonstrated the ability to conduct appropriate primary and secondary research to inform and validate your strategy and solutions
- Experience in and passion for design thinking
- Excellent written and verbal communication, along with presentation skills. You will be in front of people a lot — facilitating and presenting
- Experience in planning, budgeting and assessing projects for proposal responses
- Deep interest in understanding people’s behaviors, attitudes, and motivations
- You are amped when asked to seek answers to questions that are nearly impossible to answer
- You are comfortable in situations of challenge and change
- You are equal parts creative and analytical
You’ll also come ready for a challenge! You may often be asked to play a role over time in diverse areas outside of your core expertise like creative brainstorm leadership, strategic creative advising, and business strategy. We really, really like collaboration and finding the clash in all we do. That’s where the magic happens.