The Assistant Construction Superintendent is responsible for supporting the organization’s goal of building 23 homes next year. The individual in this position leads future homebuyers and volunteers in performing in-house construction activities, including site preparation, foundation systems, rough framing, window and door installation, weatherproofing, siding, painting, flooring installation, millwork installation, interior painting, and landscaping.
The Assistant Construction Superintendent is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Construction Superintendent. The compensation is a starting hourly wage of $16.51-$20.63 (commensurate with experience) plus a great benefits package, which includes health care (medical, dental, vision, and alternative), generous paid time off, a matching retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, and more!
Volunteers and Partner Homeowners
- Lead Habitat Crew Leads and crews of volunteers in building homes
- Ensure appropriate safety practices at all times
- Teach needed skills to new volunteers
- Conduct regular quality control inspections
- Assist in the training of Crew Leads and volunteers
- Understand elements that contribute to successful volunteers and help ensure that volunteers have a consistently positive, encouraging environment, motivating them to return
- Ensure that communication to volunteers and partner homeowners is respectful, accurate, and timely
- Assist in identifying volunteer jobs/needs not currently filled and satisfy needs with appropriate volunteers
- Perform all hands-on construction tasks as directed
- “Fix” any construction task performed below acceptable standards by volunteers
- Suggest potential advantageous building practices and material cost savings opportunities to management as identified
- Assist in the supervision of all site preparation and layout
- Assist in the supervision of job sites on each designated workday and work to ensure construction is accomplished in accordance with approved permits and plans
- Assist in training volunteers and partner homeowners about construction tasks and appropriate safety measures
- Respond to homeowner warranty complaints and perform repairs
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two years minimum experience in the construction/contracting business, especially as a carpenter or framer
- Valid drivers’ license and reliable transportation
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to effectively work with, manage, and lead volunteers
- Excel at multi-tasking various projects and deadlines; attention to detail a must
- Excellent oral communication skills; effective with diverse audiences
- Commitment to affordable housing development and the mission of Habitat
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- Job is located at the assigned construction site
- Position is very active and requires climbing ladders as well as considerable standing, bending, kneeling, and reaching in awkward and tiring positions during varying weather conditions
- Employee must frequently lift, move, and/or load items over 50 pounds
- 40 hours a week, currently Mon-Fri, 7:30am-3:30pm (may shift to Tue-Sat later in the year)
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.