Oversee all aspects of financial management, inclusive of corporate accounting, budget and forecast preparation, internal regulation including oversight policy and procedures, working with external auditors, monthly closings and financial reporting. This includes grower accounting, accounts receivable, and accounts payable, capital projects, and cash flow.
Interaction with all areas of the company and people from senior staff to subordinates. External interactions takes place with insurance providers, auditors, owners, customers, and others.
• Supervisor: CAO/CFO
• Subordinates: Controller and fourteen (14) subordinates which includes Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Grower Accounting, Corporate Accounting; Director, Financial Planning & Analysis and two (2) subordinates
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
• Act in managerial role in overseeing activity and efficiency of Controller.
• Validate and ensure integrity of all financial controls and good practices within the business, ensuring adequate maintenance of proper policies and procedures in the areas of finance, accounting, and tax in order to maintain suitable internal controls that lead to complete, accurate, and timely financial reporting.
• Manage audit of the business by working closely with external auditing firms at all stages for the purpose of guaranteeing accuracy.
• Help prepare annual budget and oversee financial reports from accounting teams in order to confirm precise reviews of business’s current and projected financial position to ensure integrity of information.
• Evaluate current policies and procedures within financial department and strive to drive continuous improvement, research, and analyses in all accounting matters. Ensure financial reports support proper decision making by executive teams.
• Review financial fluctuations and provide variation analysis.
• Establish and implement accounting procedures and policies in accordance with GAAP and applicable laws.
• Generate periodical consolidated financial reporting that is timely, accurate and usable by the business in assessing its financial position.
o Direct and oversee timely and accurate closing of monthly books according to the following schedule: Naturipe Farms – 5th day of the month; Brands – 5th day; RTE – 8th day; Foods – 8th day; HFI – 9th day; NFI – 9th day; HFNA – 12th day.
• Review financial issues that directly impact business financials inclusive of expenses that have to be reimbursed and all deductible and non-deductible tax items.
• Analyze financial impact of major business operational issues and decisions affecting the business and delivering timely reports as requested.
• Supervise business process in order to select weekly/monthly/quarterly payments in accordance to financial obligations and liquidity levels of the business.
• Coordinate periodical closing process and prepare supporting schedules and periodical financial review and financial audits.
• Review accounting entries on a regular basis in order to ensure that there is accuracy and timeliness, maintaining a strict confidentiality of operational, financial and business information.
• Work hand-in-hand with senior management and executive team to uncover potentially adverse finance issues early enough to react and solve potential conflicts and errors.
• Work directly with IT in ensuring that appropriate financial management technology systems and platforms are in place to expand and sustain growth-oriented business and to ensure financial success.
• Work with the Director of Financial Planning and Analysis to ensure proper reporting and managerial analysis of the company to help improve efficiency and sales.
• Work closely with legal counsel to make sure contracts are properly reviewed prior to signing.
• Work with company’s insurance broker to make sure companies’ assets are insured and secured properly.
• Oversee financial qualification of potential customers, suggest credit limits to executive team members and monitor customers’ credit status.
• Review and analyze sales and profit projections against actual figures and budgeted expenses against final totals, and suggest methods for improving the planning process.
• Assist the CAO/CFO in other projects or analyses as directed.
Quantitative Data/Job Dimensions
• Maintain 1000 general ledger accounts.
• Oversee preparation of 15 weekly and 100 monthly reports to inform upper management/partners of company’s performance
• Reconcile over 50 balance sheet accounts monthly.
• Prepare monthly budget variance reports and analysis for 5 departments.
• Reconcile monthly bank account (over 4000 checks are written annually).
• Total of 18 direct and indirect reports.
• Oversees $700 million in receivables
• Oversees $650 million in payables
• Monthly closing of at least 10 different companies
• Bachelor Degree with emphasis in Accounting or Finance with 10 years of experience. Master’s Degree preferred. CPA Certification a plus.
• 8+ years in a management role with proven skills and expertise in accounting theory and practice and finance as well as supervisory responsibilities (i.e., as a junior Controller)
• Advanced computer knowledge and experience required. Experience with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook required. SAP knowledge preferred.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) strongly preferred
• Travel up to once per month required
• Strong communication (listening, oral and written), presentation and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work in a professional, confident manner.
• Sound prioritization and time management skills.
• Ability to accept responsibility and make competent decisions independently.
• Ability to problem solve independently.
• Must be detail-oriented to ensure accuracy in all matters.
• Prior produce/agriculture background a plus.