JOB SUMMARY: The resident care assistant will provide personal care services, assistance, support and supervision to residents. The resident care assistant will also provide housekeeping services to residents and assist with activities and food service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Serve all meals as supplied by Valley Manor kitchen using safety precautions.
• Monitor changes in residents’ appetite and know residents’ dietary needs.
• Clear all soiled items from table and reset table.
• Store and maintain all foods in accordance with accepted industry practices, facility and county health codes.
• Assist residents with daily grooming, bathing and dressing as needed.
• Completes documentation and maintains necessary records related to care or duties.
• Assist in the development and updating of each resident’s care plan.
• Perform shift change rounds with next shift staff to ensure whereabouts and well-being of all residents, functional status of alarm systems and safety of building.
• Follow the “Rights of Medication Administration”.
• Monitor supply of medications for each resident.
• Comply with NYSDOH guidelines for medication assistance in Assisted Living.
• Provides/Arranges for sufficient supplies to meet care needs for current and pending shifts, such as hygiene products, incontinence supplies, gloves and paper towels.
• Straighten up residents’ apartment daily and make bed. In the evening, turn bed down and close blinds.
• Do personal laundry for residents weekly or whenever needed.
• Assist residents with picking up trash and disposing of expired food in the resident apartment.
• Assist with the activity programs and conduct activities as directed by the activity coordinator or assigned by supervisor.
• Assure residents get to appointments, activities and meals.
• Provide one-on-one support/visitation to assigned residents as needed.
• Encourage and/or remind residents to participate in activities.
• Encourage socialization among residents and assist with transporting residents to Valley Manor IL building for activities if necessary.
• Assist in the orientation of new residents and families to the Assisted Living environment and the policies and procedures of the residency.
• Assist in the orientation of new staff members to Assisted Living policies and procedures and resident care protocols.
• Communicate all pertinent information to other staff in a timely manner.
QUALIFICATIONS: Strong team approach to working with other staff. Ability to interact courteously and tactfully with staff, residents, family members, visitors, vendors and the general public. This position may/will be required to provide direct care or have access to resident property or belongings.
EDUCATION: Must possess high school diploma or equivalent with reading, comprehension and writing ability at 12th grade level or higher. Certification as a home health aide or certified nursing assistant and certified medication training as outlined by the state.
EXPERIENCE: Experience or interest in working with older adults.