Reports To: Director of Accounting
Summary: The Accounts Payable Supervisor is responsible for directing and overseeing all operational aspects and functions performed within the Accounts Payable department. This position directly supervises members of the Accounts Payable team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ensure that the Accounts Payable Specialists are delivering the highest level of service to our associations; look for ways to improve customer satisfaction.
• Responsible for accurate and timely response and resolution to all requests from internal and external clients.
• Ensure the accuracy of all Accounts Payable data that is entered into the accounting system.
• Create, enforce and modify consistent operational procedures within the Accounts Payable department.
• Work in cooperation with the Accounts Receivable and General Ledger Supervisors and General Ledger Accountants to resolve issues and identify areas for improvement.
• Respond to Accounts Payable inquiries from vendors, boards, and employees.
• Perform research and analysis of vendor invoices to determine the correct coding as defined by association budgets.
• Review association-related invoices submitted for payment and ensure that appropriate back-up documentation and approval requirements are met.
• Oversee cash flow management.
• File accounts payable invoices by association.
• Complete special projects as required to meet the special needs of the Board of Directors and Community Association Managers.
• Oversee on-line and investment company reserve bank transfers.
• Oversee the annual 1099 process.
• Facilitate Community Association Manager Accounts Payable training.
• Perform onboarding and off-boarding for all new and terminating associations.
• Oversee and train Accounts Payable Specialists on the use of software and processes.
• Collaborate with Director of Accounting on software and process improvements.
• Troubleshoot daily software problems quickly.
• Ensure that staff members are in compliance with all company policies per the Hammersmith® Employee Handbook.
• Coach and mentor staff to achieve performance goals.
• Provide recruiting requests to Human Resources for available positions within the department; interview and hire employees.
• Provide timely one-on-ones with staff.
• Monitor and report on staffing needs within the department.
• Review employee timesheets/punches for accuracy.
• Handle disciplinary issues with support staff.
• Create employee action plans as needed.
• Work to make sure the Accounts Payable Team:
o Maintains “on-time” monthly payables completion rate of 100%.
o Responds to all communications both internally and externally within 72 hours.
o Ensure that all Community Insurance payments are made by their deadline with a completion rate of 100%.
• This position operates in a professional office setting with usage of standard office equipment.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• This position is largely sedentary and may require constant sitting with occasional standing/walking.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Qualifications:
• Must possess personal values that are in alignment with those of the company: Excellence, Partnership, Professionalism, Integrity, and Life Balance
• Must possess leadership qualities, a positive can-do attitude and initiative
• Knowledge of basic accounting principles
• Knowledge of management techniques
• Skill in organization and analytics
• Skill in attention to detail, decision making, and problem solving
• Skill in conflict resolution and leadership
• Skill in identifying potential risks and providing solutions
• Skill in delivering excellent customer service
• Ability to read and interpret budgets, general ledgers, and financial reports
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple assignments
• Ability to lead large projects
• Ability to utilize different computer software programs
• Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
• Ability to be professional in appearance and presentation
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment
• Ability to build strong working relationships with the Accounts Payable team
• Ability to perform duties with limited supervision
• Ability to work a flexible schedule in order to meet deadlines
• Ability to make decisions, lead people, and manage resources
• Ability to supervise other employees as needed
• Ability to serve as a role model to others demonstrating Hammersmith® core values
Education and Experience:
• Eight to Ten years of Accounts Payable experience required
• Previous supervisory or training experience required
• Associates in Accounting or related degree required
• Experience in property management accounting preferred
Full time Hammersmith® employees are offered a full range of benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, HSA and FSA participation, comprehensive 401(k) plan, sick and vacation time, volunteer day of service, and much more!
Hammersmith® is an Equal Opportunity Employer.