REPORTS TO: Director of Information Services
STATUS: Exempt, salaried, full-time
LOCATION: Chicago, Illinois
ABOUT ALL CHICAGO:
On an average night in 2019, nearly 5,300 people could be found on our streets and in our shelters. Tens of thousands more are just one unexpected setback away from joining them. These are our neighbors, this is our city, and together we can ensure that we all have stable homes.
All Chicago strengthens our community’s collective efforts to end homelessness, guided by a vision of impact, influence, and inspiration. As our name implies, All Chicago brings together corporations, foundations, non-profits, service providers, individual donors, and volunteers from all neighborhoods and backgrounds in a united effort to make homelessness history in Chicago.
All Chicago manages the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), a system which manages data on Chicagoans experiencing, or at risk of, homelessness and the services they receive. Our team supports more than 1000 individuals with training, helpdesk services, and running and interpreting reports. Chicago also leverages this data to drive allocation decisions, set strategy and policy, and monitor progress toward ending homelessness.
We bring a sense of urgency to our work, and actively seek to maintain a culture of innovation and collaboration. Come work with passionate, like-minded colleagues in a supportive environment as we help end homelessness.
Learn more at www.allchicago.org
The Data Warehouse and Visualization Analyst is a key member of the HMIS team. The team works with the community to refine the structure of the HMIS system, creates reports, conducts in-person training and provides technical assistance for users across the Chicago Continuum of Care (CoC). The Data Warehouse and Visualization Analyst helps ensure that HMIS is responsive to the needs of the community. The Data Warehouse and Visualization Analyst has two primary responsibilities: designing and maintaining the All Chicago HMIS Data Warehouse; and selecting and utilizing reporting and visualization tools to provide reports and dashboards to support internal and community requirements.
Position responsibilities and work volume will be established and evaluated through ongoing supervision, annual reviews, and the development of an annual professional development plan.
Designing and maintaining the All Chicago HMIS Data Warehouse – approximately 50% of the job
- Responsible for designing, building, and supporting the components of data warehouse, such as ETL processes, databases, reports, and reporting environments.
- Designs dimensional models with conformed dimensions, following the business’ processes.
- Develops and automates ETL processes that involves error and reconciliation handling.
- Creates processes for maintaining or/and capturing metadata.
- Studies and understands processes and applications, including their effect on data and reporting, and applies the knowledge gained in designing data warehouses and reports.
- Identifies and documents all requirements for both fresh and current data warehouse components and reports by working with end users.
- Establishes system documentation and ensures it is continually sustained.
Selecting and utilizing reporting and visualization tools to provide reports and dashboards – approximately 45% of the job
- Building reports in reporting tools.
- Building dashboards in visualization tool.
- Build solutions that satisfy partner’s needs.
- Structure projects to have a defined deliverable and definition of success.
- Communicate analysis results and recommendations in a manner that enables the business sponsor to understand and act on the information.
- Provide ad hoc analysis as requested.
Other Tasks - approximately - 5% of the position
- Keep current on trends and best practices in trainings and develop tools as needed.
- Actively participate in Staff and department meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates will demonstrate commitment to preventing and ending homelessness in Chicago and will have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Quantitative Field or Computer Science
- Possess not less than three years work experience supporting and developing data warehouses
- Experience creating metadata, developing ETL processes, and using several reporting tools; and performing data cleansing functions
- Five or more years experience working with Microsoft SQL Server
- Strong knowledge of the fundamentals of data warehouse, and experience supporting and developing data warehouses
- 1+ year of experience working with Visualization tools
- Familiarity with statistical coding languages such as python or R (preferred)
- Knowledge of visualization best practices
- Experience with collaborative tools like Microsoft Teams and Slack
- Demonstrated success translating complex business questions into accessible reports and visualizations
- Enjoy breaking down complex problems to identify primary drivers
- Team player
- Highly detail oriented
- Excellent communication skills; ability to convey information in a clear and concise manner.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and manage changing priorities.
- Proven ability to be flexible and work hard, both independently and in a team environment.
- Willingness to work occasionally outside of normal business hours and to take on more responsibilities as assigned.
- A strong work ethic, integrity, and the highest ethical standards are expected.
- This position may require out of state travel approximately two times a year.
- Passion for inclusivity and diversity, and interest in being part of a multicultural team
- Work place is a smoke- and drug-free environment.
- Intermittent travel to off-site locations required.
- Position requires frequent and regular computer and phone use.
- This position requires attendance during regular business hours from 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. Occasional night and weekend hours are required a few times a year.
- All Chicago is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. All Chicago does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, general identification, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. All Chicago is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
Salary is in the $44,700- $60,900 range, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package (with some employee contributions) includes medical, dental, vision insurance, and disability. Employer-matched retirement plan. Generous paid leave.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and salary range requirement.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Position begins as soon as possible. No phone calls, please.