Under general supervision, this position is responsible for the oversight, coordination, and administration of an internal team of Community Health Workers/Peer Counselors (CHW/PCs) who conduct door-to-door outreach to Detroit residents
• Manage cases for approximately 40 clients (individuals or families).
• Conduct comprehensive assessments and formulate client service plans which include verifying and documenting eligibility for available human services with participants using a benefits calculator tool.
• Work with clients to connect them to identified stakeholders and non-profits to meet intermediate and long-term needs that are aligned with client goals.
• Collect required client documentation for program enrollment as needed.
• Work closely with physicians, nurses, mental health and other health care professionals, as well as family members of the client.
• Supervise a team of four (4) CHW/PC’s.
• Develop and maintain working knowledge of relevant social services systems and agencies to ensure client access to appropriate services.
• Arrange face-to-face communication with client as needed.
• Attend and participate in required team meetings and trainings including, but not limited to HIPAA and trauma-informed care.
• Ability to work with people in crisis and conflict, including those facing homelessness, financial challenges, mental illness and/or chemical dependency
• Ability to organize, prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines in a time-sensitive environment
• Ability to communicate clearly and professionally verbally and in writing
• Ability to motivate CHW/PCs to ensure that client needs are proactively met
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively with others (including supervisors, colleagues, volunteers, clients and vendors)
• Regular and reliable attendance
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of clients as well as client information and records
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively under stressful conditions
• Understand and maintain professional ethics and boundaries
• Ability to adapt to change
• Proven ability to work in collaborative team environment
• Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Working knowledge of organizational development issues
• Strong creative and independent thinking skills that will lead to individualized action plans
• Good working relationships with internal and external customers
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Counseling and/or Psychology, Health and Human Services, or a related field.
• Minimum five (5) years of equivalent experience in the field of Human Services, Advocacy, and/or Case Management work in a client services setting.
• Experience facilitating conflict resolution.
• Supervisory experience.
Licenses, Certifications, and Other Special Requirements:
• Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License – Position requires field work.
The employee generally engages in light physical activity with person to person contact inside and outside the office environment. The employee is expected to move about to accomplish tasks. Must be able to lift, push, pull, and carry up to 20 pounds.
Work is performed in indoor and outdoor environments (e.g. home visits, office, care center, clinic. etc.). Work requires travel to various homes and businesses in all areas within the City of Detroit.