Under direct supervision, responsible for working on a team that conducts door-to-door outreach to residents in all Detroit neighborhoods. This position will be required to attend a mandatory orientation at the Community Health Corp (CHC), attend specific training for the role, and become certified Community Health Workers
Core duties for BOTH Peer Counselors - Tier 1 (entry level) and Tier 2 (senior level):
• Conduct initial and follow-up targeted door-to-door outreach to residents in all Detroit neighborhoods.
• Conduct in-person needs assessments.
• Provide on-site resources or materials that ensure the immediate safety and health of clients and their families (e.g. food, child or home resources).
• Provide client information to Case Manager so that comprehensive evaluations and case formulations can be completed for clients.
• Follow-up with residents and their families and connect them to resources as indicated by Case Manager.
• Collaborate with partner providers (Continuum of Care).
• Maintain accurate and timely case management notes and client records as well as organized client files.
• Responsible for a case load of 10 clients/client families.
• Understand and maintain professional ethics and boundaries.
• Attend and participate in required team meetings, orientations and trainings (including HIPAA and trauma-informed care training that will be provided)
• Provide support to peers as necessary based upon life experiences.
Additional duties for Tier 2 Peer Counselors:
• Drive a team of CHW/PCs to visit residents in identified neighborhoods.
• Coach Tier 1 CHW/PCs on how to conduct resident outreach.
• Act as a liaison to City of Detroit departments or partner community organizations that are direct service providers.
• Ability to work with people in crisis and conflict, including those facing homelessness, financial challenges, mental illness and/or chemical dependency.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to develop good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to organize, prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines in a time-sensitive environment.
• Ability to communicate clearly and professionally verbally and in writing.
• Ability to develop data entry and data tracking skills allowing management of large amounts of detailed information.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively with others (including supervisors, colleagues, volunteers, clients and vendors).
• Regular and reliable attendance.
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of clients as well as client information and records.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively under stressful conditions.
• Ability to adapt to change when necessary.
• Proven ability to work in collaborative team environment.
• Ability to attain knowledge of Microsoft Word (training will be provided).
• Ability to attain knowledge in HIPAA and trauma-informed care (training will be provided).
Required Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or General Equivalency Degree (HSD/GED). Required for Tier 2; preferred for Tier 1
• Required to attend a mandatory orientation to the Community Health Corp (CHC), specific training for the role, and become certified Community Health Workers.
• Experience with door-to-door outreach.
Licenses, Certifications, and Other Special Requirements:
• Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License – Position requires field work.
The employee generally engages in light physical activity with person to person contact inside and outside the office environment. The employee is expected to move about to accomplish tasks. Must be able to lift, push, pull, and carry up to 20 pounds.
Work is performed in indoor and outdoor environments (e.g. home visits, office, care center, clinic. etc.). Work requires travel to various homes and businesses in all areas within the City of Detroit.