Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the primary responsibility of this position is to develop, implement and manage new projects and related tasks and assignments. In partnership with the Mayor’s Workforce Development Board (MWDB) and Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD), Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation launched Learn to Earn, a new initiative that provides adult residents with a stipend, career coaching and other supports while they pursue their GED or high school diploma, in the summer of 2020. In coordination with DPSCD and Career Center staff, the Project Manager will be responsible for managing the expansion of the pilot to enroll at least 500 Detroiters per year. The Project Manager will also assist the Chief Operating Officer in the development, implementation and management of other special workforce development projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide excellent customer service.
• Plan, coordinate, and administer activities of assigned project to include developing and implementing related procedures, processes, services and systems.
• Serve as DESC/Detroit at Work’s primary point of contact for DPSCD adult education staff, building productive working relationships between DPSCD staff and staff with Career Centers where adult education programs will be housed.
• Develop, identify and enhance career exploration and planning elements of Learn to Earn program.
• Provide assistance to Career Centers to identify and enroll eligible participants into Learn to Earn.
• Monitor and evaluate the program’s effectiveness, investigate trends, recommend and implement modifications to improve program effectiveness.
• Coordinate and/or participate in public relations activities to include preparing and supervising the production of brochures, bulletins, newsletters, and other promotional materials and/or publications, preparing press releases, designing ads and fliers, and responding to inquiries, develops plan and schedules for release of publicity materials.
• Develop, plan, coordinate and implement activities including, but not limited to, seminars, conferences, workshops, public events, and other related programs; develop and coordinate new ideas and concepts for the project’s participants, materials, and resources to supplement, expand, or replace existing project’s components.
• Organize and manage project specific tasks and activities.
• Exhibit professionalism, diplomacy, and ability to appropriately interact with Board members, staff, participants, and local stakeholders while maintaining working relationships in all aspects.
• Compose and prepare correspondence involving interpretation of policies, procedures, contract, and agreements. Prepare material that requires independent judgment and the ability to create, rearrange, expand, segregate or tabulate, and prepare complex forms.
• Prepare program budgets; Monitor, verify, and reconcile expenditure of budgeted funds as appropriate.
• Analyze qualitative and quantitative data. Prepare reports setting forth progress and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Business, Education, Public Administration, Social Work or another field related to program development, adult education or service delivery. Master’s degree preferred.
• Five (5) years of relevant professional experience.
• Equivalent combination of professional work experience, training and education may be substituted for formal education requirements.
SKILLS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Local area travel will be required. The following is a list of required and desired qualifications:
• Demonstrates sufficient understanding of effective adult education and career exploration & planning activities. Demonstrates sufficient understanding of workforce development services and programs.
• Previous experience with human-centered design and design thinking is highly desirable.
• Highly organized and have the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently. Demonstrates project management skills to produce quality, timely, and complete work product.
• Possess the ability to exhibit professionalism and work under pressure with the ability to re-prioritize in order to meet deadlines.
• Discrete and professional, particularly when handling confidential information.
• Seeks growing responsibility and shows great capacity for work.
• Exhibits outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and has the ability to prepare timely, accurate and complete reports and presentations.
• Able to maintain strict ethical legal adherence and confidentiality at all times.
Valid State of Michigan Driver’s License – Position requires field work.
Background check and drug screen required.