The Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Archdiocese of St. Louis (SVDP), is a grassroots, volunteer-based, direct-aid organization that brings together men and women to grow in their spirituality through service for others. We have been serving the Greater St. Louis area since 1845. We are part of a national organization and linked by the common mission of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
The Archdiocesan Council is composed of 140+ parish-based volunteer groups called Conferences. The Main Council operation serves as a resource and support system for these Conferences.
The Driver Helper position assists the driver with the efficient movement of cargo from donor locations to facilities, from stores to customer’s homes and recycling center. Driver Helpers are seen as the “Face of St. Vincent de Paul” and must be polite and professional by acknowledging both the donors and partners with a warm greeting and thanks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Driver Helper Responsibilities:
- Follows directions as instructed that are given by management and driver.
- Works independently without supervisor and completes tasks assigned.
- Programs route in GPS system and contacts donor on day of pick-up, confirms time and notes on the route sheet.
- Contacts Manager of Trucks, Donations and Recycling to receive instructions, report a donation non-pickup or receive a new pickup- requests. Uses cell phone only when stopped, no texting.
- Assists with loading and unloading of truck manually following SVDP’s safety procedures when loading and unloading heavy items as furniture etc.
- Properly secures donated cargo as required. Understands that all picked-up property is the property of SVDP. Follows the “What We Take and What We Don’t Take” list.
- Responsible for guiding truck driver while truck is backing up.
- Reports to Manager of Trucks, Donations and recycling any performance issues with the Driver Helper.
- Completes driving schedule in a timely manner while being monitored by the Agilis Truck Tracker system for idle time, speeding and location.
- Complies with SVDP’s safety procedures in response to hazardous material spills.
- Presents a professional image with donors and staff in appearance (wears proper uniform), performance and communication.
- Other duties as assigned
Reports and Equipment:
- Keeps an accurate record on stops and delays including a daily truck Fleet Report or any records required by law.
- Inspects, cleans, and sweeps out trailer, keeps cab in clean condition. Company property, trucks and tools are to be kept in a safe and working order and report to Manager of Trucks, donation and Recycling the items needed for repair.
Organization Mission and Policies:
- Supports and demonstrates excellent customer assistance by following the SVDP’s Customer Service Motto to “Serve our Valuable Customers with Distinction and Purpose” which defines “our valuable customers” as both internal and external; i.e. co-workers, donators, vendors, organizational contacts and thrift store consumers.