We are seeking a Principal Safety Engineer in Transit & Rail who will join our team of engineering, sales, marketing, manufacturing and product professionals. The ideal candidate will have a proven background safety engineering in the transit and rail markets. We’re eager to meet enthusiastic, engaged people wanting to join our team and help create the microlocation revolution. Candidates from throughout the United States are encouraged to apply.
Just as GPS drove huge gains in efficiency and safety throughout the transit and rail industries, Humatics’ microlocation technology delivers centimeter or better performance in environments where GPS doesn’t work.
Humatics Rail Navigation system --- using simple radio-frequency technology, sensor fusion, and a solutions-oriented approach --- pinpoints trains with subcentimeter precision accelerating signal modernization, improving revenue service reliability, reducing system maintenance, expediting completion of capital programs, and enhancing worker, rider and system safety through a variety of applications that build upon a single microlocation foundation.
What You Will Be Working On
- You will own safety including processes, safety certifications, and relationships with customer safety teams and independent safety assessors.
- You will assess the viability of systems and products for safety.
- You will collaborate with delivery team on functional architecture, system-level design and interfacing with subsystem teams and designs with a singular focus on safety
- You will own and maintain Humatics safety management system, safety plans and hazards logs as well as conduct detailed safety analyses that consider customer requirements, overall system specifications and subsystem components
- You will develop and maintain product safety cases to justify that systems are acceptably safe for a specific application/environment.
- You will work with the delivery team to optimally allocate requirements and guide requirements-based tradeoffs
- You will be a stakeholder in ensuring system safety and quality including participation in change and failure review boards, conducting failure mode effect analysis, safety hazard analysis, assessing impacts of design changes on system performance, and seeing performance issues through to resolution.
- You will identify safety related issues and risks and provide solutions and mitigations to management.
- You will work with the delivery team and external partners to conceive, develop, and build new systems and solutions.
- You will own all safety related subcontractor relationships and associated budget.
- You have ten or more years experience in safety engineering in the rail or transit sector.
- You have experience designing, implementing and/or deploying signaling, control, and/or safety technologies --- e.g., EN 50126 (IEC 62278), EN 50128 (IEC 62279), EN 50129 (IEC 62425), and/or Safety Integrity Levels (SIL) IAW IEC 61508.
- You have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering or a related field.
- You have a demonstrated experience working with electrical, mechanical, and software teams --- pulling in required technical team members as required to solve systems-level challenges
- You have the ability, aptitude and attitude to be involved in the integration, deployment, and testing of technology in a wide variety of environs.
- You are capable of long-range technical planning and execution on multiple major projects simultaneously. Your results have a critical impact on Humatics’ objectives and goals.
- You consistently demonstrate extremely high levels of technical knowledge, ingenuity, and creativity. Capable of deriving requirements with minimal oversight, and executing against those requirements and ensuring that the rest of the team is complying. You have true technical ownership of your function.
- You are self-supervising within guidance and expectations of rail program management. You’re expected to provide guidance, oversight, and feedback to teammates especially on safety topics.
- You exercise independent initiative/judgment in setting and implementing goals. Proactively identify required work, risks, and solutions within a broader scope even outside of your subject area, and communicate them to stakeholders.
- You clearly communicate complex technical material to anyone in the Company, with proper judgement on level of detail. Effectively train people outside your work group. Able to give effective presentations to critical/high level customers and effectively represent work throughout the company. Can write high quality reports with all necessary backup material for external consumption. As required, you contribute to proposals with minimal oversight.
- You can, as required, travel to support customer projects.
- Competitive salary
- Meaningful equity ownership in a well-funded early stage startup
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401(k) plan
- Paid holidays and unlimited vacation
If you do not meet all of these qualifications, but are excited about the opportunity, please apply!
Humatics is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.