Palomar Specialty Insurance Company provides catastrophe insurance for personal and commercial property. Headquartered in La Jolla, California, the company was founded in 2014 by a group of insurance veterans who recognized a need for customized options in the catastrophe insurance market nationwide. By offering earthquake, hurricane and flood products through an exclusive network of agents, brokers, wholesalers and program administrators, Palomar ensures its policyholders receive specialized service for catastrophe protection.
Palomar Specialty is a growing insurance provider that is building an extraordinary business around an exceptional team of employees. As a result, Palomar is hiring at all levels of the organization and is seeking both experienced insurance professionals and recent college graduates who are up to the challenge of helping build a modern and differentiated insurance business. If you would thrive in a dynamic work environment where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded, Palomar would like to talk to you about joining this collaborative and hard-working team.
For more information about the company, visit www.palomarspecialty.com. No phone calls or agency solicitation please.
Palomar Specialty Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Palomar is currently seeking to fill the following position:
Business Analyst Position Description:
The Business Analyst will closely partner with the stakeholders holding meetings, brainstorming sessions, working sessions, and ultimately developing process and requirements documentation as well as negotiating and prioritizing deliverables. This position will have a full understanding of the business and associated processes ensuring that there is integration between the business requirements and the technology deliverable.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Act as liaison between Program Managers, Project Managers, Underwriting, Marketing, Accounting, and Operations teams as appropriate.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, SMEs, and developers through various formats to ensure implementations and designs meet usability specifications.
- Conducts and facilitates effective project meetings including requirements gathering, bug triage, and story refinement.
- Gather and document quality user stories with detailed acceptance criteria and supporting documentation.
- UX and High-Level UI design skills to present concepts back to business and R&D teams.
- Provide clarification concerning business requirements throughout the project.
- Decompose high-level concepts and information into detailed, workable deliverables.
- Work with QA to define testing strategy and identify use cases.
- Participate in monitoring and approval of test cases.
- Coordinating with operations to conduct UAT and draft end user documentation.
- Coordinate release activities which includes preparing release notes and end user guides.
- Demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail at all times; look for ways to improve and promote quality; apply feedback to improve performance; monitor own work to ensure quality.
- Pursue training and development opportunities; strive to continuously build knowledge and skills; share expertise with others.
- Volunteer readily and undertake self-development activities; seek increased responsibilities and take ownership of tasks at hand; take independent actions and calculated risks; take advantage of opportunities but asks for and offers help when needed.
- Display original thinking and creativity while meeting challenges with resourcefulness; generate suggestions for improving work; develop innovative approaches and ideas; present ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- 3 to 5 years of Business Analyst experience preferred
- Insurance or Financial Services experience preferred
- Experienced in Agile and Scrum principles, and Jira or other project management software preferred
- Strong problem solving, communication, and analytical skills
- Understanding of software design concepts and techniques
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-motivated, and be a self-starter in a fast-paced environment with demanding internal and external deadlines
- Excellent time management skills, with strong ability to juggle multiple priorities
- Proven ability to deliver quality results in a rigorous and dynamic business environment.
- Intermediate level skill in MS Office, particularly in Excel (pivot tables, vlookup, formulas, queries) preferred
Competitive salary that is commensurate with individual experience.
Benefits and Compensation:
Palomar Specialty Insurance Company offers competitive salaries, ongoing professional development and a comprehensive benefits package, including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Company-Paid Long-Term Disability benefits, 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan (with company matching), Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays. Paid parking.