Exempt - Grade Level 5
Equal Employment Opportunity
CORPORATE VALUES & MISSION
“Provide superior service and high-quality advice and show utmost respect to everyone we meet.”
The Underwriter is responsible for the overall underwriting quality of mortgage loan production. This is a leadership role where maintaining focus on producing quality loans while supporting pro-growth initiatives is necessary. The Underwriter will need to stay abreast of the most up-to-date underwriting guidelines and loan programs from Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, FHA, Rural Housing, MSHDA and various investors to whom the bank sells loans, as well as provide flexible, common-sense underwriting that may from time to time require a business decision. It will be important that the Underwriter facilitate additional assistance from senior management when a business decision is required.
REPORTS TO: VP Loan Operations Manager
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide fair and consistent underwriting decisions, based on factual information in the file without personal bias or judgment.
• Underwrite to Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, FHA, Rural Housing, MSHDA and investor guidelines, as well as requirements of various mortgage insurance providers, and adhere to bank policies and procedures and state and federal requirements.
• Provide leadership in streamlining underwriting and documentation requirements, requiring only that information that is pertinent and necessary to make an underwriting decision. Care should be taken not to ask for excessive or unnecessary documentation, however, caution should be exercised in issuing conditional approvals where the approval could be rescinded based on additional information requested.
• Responsible for staying up-to-date on all new bank loan programs as well as secondary marketing underwriting guidelines.
• Maintain manual of loan programs, keeping information up-to-date and keeping staff aware of any changes to these programs or investor guidelines. Utilize email and Intranet to get information out to the staff on a consistent basis.
• Assist in the loan processing or closing areas as needed, providing support in making decisions or assisting occasionally with workflow as requested.
• Keep an open door to loan staff, giving helpful advice or training as needed, with the objective of helping the staff be able to be more knowledgeable to enhance the overall team capability.
• Conduct relationships in a manner that will enhance the overall marketing effort of the organization.
• Additional responsibilities as assigned.
• Be familiar with and comply with the provisions of the Bank Secrecy Act and USA PATRIOT Act as they relate to the functions of this position. Complete all required reports related to those acts and reports any observed violations or potential violations of those acts to a supervisor or other appropriate bank officer.
• Be familiar with and comply with all federal and state banking regulations as applicable.
EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Minimum of two (2) years’ experience underwriting to the secondary market, with solid knowledge of Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, FHA, Rural Housing, MSHDA and other investor underwriting guidelines and loan programs.
• Excellent people skills as well as detail orientation.
• Must have the ability to examine the details of a loan but still maintain an understanding of the loan’s overall merits.
• Flexible, dependable, and service-oriented
• Good organizational and communication skills. Excellent written and verbal skills
• Computer knowledge - Windows, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, miscellaneous software applications (basic working knowledge)
• General Accounting Knowledge
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to meet established deadlines
In addition to the Corporate Core Competencies, individuals in this position are expected to exhibit the following:
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data accurately; able to read and interpret written information.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex and diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others. Has a thorough understanding of underwriting, coverages and rating procedures
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in a timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Flexibility – able to provide flexibility and adapt to changing schedules.
Dependability – Follows instructions; responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Initiative – Undertakes self-development activities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.