Palomar Specialty Insurance Company provides catastrophe insurance for personal and commercial property. Headquartered in La Jolla, California, the company was founded in 2014 by a group of insurance veterans who recognized a need for customized options in the catastrophe insurance market nationwide. By offering earthquake, hurricane and flood products through an exclusive network of agents, brokers, wholesalers and program administrators, Palomar ensures its policyholders receive specialized service for catastrophe protection.
Palomar Specialty is a growing insurance provider that is building an extraordinary business around an exceptional team of employees. As a result, Palomar is hiring at all levels of the organization and is seeking both experienced insurance professionals and recent college graduates who are up to the challenge of helping build a modern and differentiated insurance business. If you would thrive in a dynamic work environment where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded, Palomar would like to talk to you about joining this collaborative and hard-working team.
For more information about the company, visit www.palomarspecialty.com. No phone calls or agency solicitation please.
Palomar Specialty Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Palomar is currently seeking to fill the following position in its beautiful La Jolla office:
Sr. Corporate Staff Accountant
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• In a reviewer capacity, ensure the timely and accurate posting, balancing, and reconciliation of the general ledger for each product assigned. Review the work completed by staff accountants to ensure accurate financial presentation.
• As requested, prepares workpapers and various reports for internal reporting and auditing.
• Researches and analyzes fluctuations between current financial results and prior year, prior periods, budgeted and projected financials.
• Works with independent and internal auditors to ensure compliance with financial reporting requirements.
• Recommends opportunities for improvement in accounting systems, processes, and procedures with a goal of increasing efficiency.
• Assists team members with budget activity, proper g/l coding, document preparation, and other accounting-related activities.
• Assists in the training and mentoring of staff accountants
• Monthly journal entry review
Required Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or higher
• Senior accountant experience, including working in a lead and/or training capacity
• Ability to organize, self-prioritize, and be a self-starter in a fast-paced environment with demanding internal and external deadlines
• Ability to multi-task between monitored and performed assignments
• Microsoft Office skills required – Advanced Excel, Intermediate Word, Intermediate Power Point
• Extensive accounting software experience
• Strong interpersonal skills. Collaborative team player necessary
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Insurance industry experience
• Public accounting experience, including SOX technical knowledge
• Public company industry experience
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION:
Palomar Holdings offers competitive salaries commensurate with individual experience, ongoing professional development, and a comprehensive benefits package, including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Company-Paid Long Term Disability benefits, 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan (with company matching), Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays. Paid parking.