South College, a private, for-profit institution in Knoxville, Tennessee, is seeking dynamic, engaging, and passionate educational leaders to join our industry leading blended learning Doctor of Physical Therapy program at the rank of Assistant, Associate, or full Professor. We provide an innovative, career focused education that develops Doctors of Physical Therapy who are highly skilled, mindful and empathetic care providers. They are passionate lifelong learners who are servant leaders in their local community and highly engaged in their professional and broader health care communities.
Assigned courses are based on faculty expertise. Applicants can be remote but will be required to attend scheduled lab immersions, typically once per quarter, in Knoxville, Tennessee.
A. Teaching and Education Responsibilities:
1. Contribute to the planning of course offerings in the School of Physical Therapy, including subject matter and sequencing of courses, methods of instruction and expectations for student performance
2. Develop assigned physical therapy courses based on expertise and experience
3. Serve as course coordinator for physical therapy courses as directed by the Dean, School of Physical Therapy, to include
a. Develop and provide to students a current syllabus indicating materials to be covered, related assignments, and methods of evaluation
b. Schedule lecturers for the course where not all lectures are provided by the course coordinator
c. Develop a plan for assessment of student performance using both traditional methods (e.g., written tests) and non-traditional methods, as appropriate
d. Maintain current records of student participation and grades in the course
4. If not serving as a course coordinator, provide lectures and instruction in collaboration with the course coordinator, including participating in assessment of student performance
5. Promote adequate standards of linguistic expression in both written and oral communications
6. Maintain intellectual integrity and strive for academic excellence in teaching
7. Document outcomes and appropriateness of all teaching activities on an ongoing basis
8. Support the School of Physical Therapy Director of Clinical Education in identification and management of sites for the delivery of clinical education experiences
9. Assist faculty members at the rank of Assistant Professor and Associate Professor in their development of teaching and education excellence
10. Ensure all teaching and education responsibilities provide for compliance with accreditation policies and procedures
B. Service Responsibilities
1. Attend scheduled School of Physical Therapy faculty meetings
2. Serve on School of Physical Therapy committees, and if appropriate, South College committees, with expectation of service being in a leadership role
3. Contribute to strategic planning activities of the School of Physical Therapy, and if appropriate, South College, with expectation of service being in a leadership role
4. Participate in accreditation activities of the School of Physical Therapy, including serving on self-study committees, with expectation of service being in a leadership role
5. Serve as a mentor for faculty members at the rank of Assistant Professor and Associate Professor
6. Serve as a faculty advisor for individual students and student professional organizations, as appropriate
7. Participate in School of Physical Therapy, South College and student sponsored events
C. Scholarship Responsibilities
1. Maintain and grow an established research program, individually or in collaboration with other researchers
2. Conduct and participate in research endeavors in the School of Physical Therapy
3. Assist faculty members at the Assistant Professor and Associate Professor rank in establishing and growing their respective research programs
4. Contribute to the body of knowledge in the faculty member’s area of expertise in physical therapy practice through preparing publications for refereed and peer-reviewed journals
5. Contribute to the body of knowledge in the faculty member’s area of expertise in physical therapy practice through accepted and invited poster and podium presentations at meetings of national and state professional and scientific organizations
6. Maintain established national recognition of the faculty member in the area of expertise
7. Seek to participate as a peer reviewer for internal and external research grant and contract applications, practice protocol development and refereed and peer-reviewed journals
8. Conduct research related the instruction of DPT students in a blended-learning model for the purpose of improving quality and outcomes
D. Professional Responsibilities
1. Support the mission, goals and objectives of South College and the School of Physical Therapy
2. Participate in appropriate national, state and local professional and scientific organizations
3. Participate in special projects or activities as requested by the Dean of the School of Physical Therapy
4. Develop and maintain professional relationships with all staff, faculty, and students in the School of Physical Therapy and other Colleges and Schools of South College
5. Conduct oneself in a positive and professional manner as a representative of the School of Physical Therapy and South College
6. Adhere to all School of Physical Therapy and South College policies and procedures
E. Professional Development Responsibilities
1. Complete a minimum of two professional development activities annually
2. Prepare an annual portfolio of accomplishments in the areas of teaching, service, scholarship, and professional development
F. Practice Responsibilities
1. Develop, in relation to the faculty member’s area of expertise, clinical practice affiliations with area healthcare institutions or physical therapy practices
2. Serve as a mentor/clinical instructor for DPT students at practice affiliation sites
Interested individuals can apply and should upload the following required materials:
• Statement addressing your teaching philosophy, expertise or comfort in hybrid learning or technology in teaching, & current research agenda.
• Current Curriculum Vitae
1. Earned terminal academic doctorate in a discipline appropriate for teaching responsibilities.
2. Exceptional candidates with a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree and ABPTS specialization in a discipline appropriate for teaching responsibilities may be considered.
3. Licensed or eligible for licensure in Tennessee or the state of residence.
4. Active in clinical practice, especially as applicable to clinical education.
5. Active in professional activities at local, state, and/or national levels.