Overall Nature and Purpose of Position: To perform all routine laboratory testing.
• Rotates in different bench areas of the laboratory as assigned. Rotations include coverage on evenings and weekends as required.
• Assists with specimen computer entry and processing; is familiar with all computerized functions that are necessary to generate test results.
• Maintains clean work area.
• Orients new staff members and assists in the training of MLT students.
• Provide accurate and reproducible results of routine, complex, manual and automated testing as ordered by the clinician and Laboratory Manager.
• Utilizes critical thinking skills to interpret data and aid in the evaluation of test results and test systems.
• Report test results within established time guidelines by organizing, prioritizing and performing the assigned share of the testing workload.
• Demonstrate the technical and professional ability to do independent problem solving for patient samples, laboratory equipment and testing procedures.
• Recognizes normal and life-threatening results and follows protocol for notification of results to the clinician.
• Performs and understands quality control programs including evaluation of values, documentation of errors, corrective action, and the maintenance of records.
• Participates in Proficiency Testing, Continuing Education programs, Competency testing, orientation of new staff members and training of MLT students as assigned.
• Proficient operation of the LIS and other computer related programs. Keeps current with changes and upgrades to each system.
• Perform venipunctures and capillary sticks as required.
• Assist in the preparation of new procedures and reagent preparation.
• Provides excellent customer service to patients, families, providers and other staff members.
NOTE: The list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that your supervisor may deem necessary.
1.Greets all patients, visitors, physicians, and other staff members in a courteous, respectful and professional manner at all time. Responds to all patients with empathy and positive interpersonal skills at all times.
2.Reports for scheduled shift on time and prepared to assume responsibilities.
3.Attends and participates in meetings and is responsible for information communicated at meetings and in email.
4.Identifies own educational needs and maintains appropriate skill level through educational opportunities.
5.Exercise a commitment to practicing behaviors that are in agreement with the spirit of cooperation and reflect the values described in the Code of Mutual Respect and Professionalism.
6.Assists all patients, family members, physicians, visitors, and employees in a professional and courteous manner.
7.Follows Infection Control procedures at all times.
8.Adheres to the following environmental care standards.
9.Be familiar with and comply with the Mid-Valley Hospital & Clinic Personnel Handbook and Policies.
10.Be familiar with the collective bargaining agreement (Union Contract) of the UFCW 21 and Mid-Valley Hospital.
11.Demonstrates the ability to adapt to varied age-specific patient populations.
Education/Experience: The position of Medical Laboratory Technician requires an associates degree from an accredited institution and a minimum of twelve month’s internship in all laboratory departments or a Medical Laboratory Technician student that has successfully completed course work and internship rotation in assigned area.
Licenses/Certification: Current Medical Laboratory Technician (ASCP) licensure or Medical Laboratory Technician student must complete MLT (ASCP) licensure within one year after hire.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Proven skills in performance of routine lab testing of either general or a specific nature. Prior experience with computerization is preferred. Must complete laboratory check off skills in all areas assigned.
Speaking and listening skills are required to communicate with professional staff and physicians regarding technical aspects of the department, to direct work activities of the department in the absence of the manager, and to communicate with patients and personnel on all levels. Must be able to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and educational levels; i.e. patients, families, employees, physician; etc.
Physical/Sensory Demands: This position involves an equal amount of standing and sitting in the performance of routine duties. A minimum of lifting or carrying is required. Good manual dexterity, use of a computer keyboard, and use of a telephone is mandatory. Excellent hand/eye coordination and excellent vision and color discrimination are required.
Working Conditions: The employee will work in conditions where there is frequent exposure to hazardous chemicals and mechanical hazards. At times the noise level can be quite high and mental stress is increased with heavy workloads. Interruptions can be expected. There is also the continuous potential for exposure to infectious diseases due to the lab specimens being processed.
Health and Safety Requirements:
• Updates CPR skills every two years.
• Understands and complies with MVH safety procedures including code and evacuation procedures.
• Complies with MVH standards pertaining to the use of sick leave and unpaid absences due to medical reasons.
• Understands and follows all universal blood and body fluids precautions and associated engineering and work practice controls and personal protective equipment requirements.
• Must not pose a threat to the safety and health of self or others. Must accurately process patient specimens; specimen mix-ups or errors will result in inaccurate patient test results and the probable need to have specimens recollected from the patients.
WAGE AND COMPENSATION
Base 29.04 - 41.34 DOE
Mid Valley Hospital also offers a generous compensation package with vacation, sick leave, life insurance and a profit sharing plan. We also offer the opportunity of a low cost out of pocket medical, dental and vision insurance plan as well as 403(b) investments.