About Palomar Holdings
Palomar Holdings provides catastrophe insurance for personal and commercial property. Headquartered in La Jolla, California, our company was founded in 2014 by a group of insurance veterans who saw a need for customized options in the catastrophe market nationwide. By offering our products through an exclusive network of agents, brokers, wholesalers, MGA’s and program administrators, we ensure our policyholders receive specialized service for their catastrophe exposures.
Palomar is a growing insurance provider that is building an extraordinary business around an exceptional team of employees. If you would thrive in a dynamic work environment where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded, we would like to talk to you about joining our collaborative, hard-working team.
We are currently seeking to fill the following position:
We are looking for an experienced Accounting Manager to join our company. As a growth-stage company, we are looking for someone that is both able to lead the company’s accounting team and efforts and can roll up their sleeves to contribute individually. The Accounting Manager will support the full cycle accounting function. A successful candidate will have the ability to work autonomously and be deadline driven.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• Responsible for assigned aspects of the day-to-day activities of the accounting department
• Support Controller and Assistant Controller in management of department – on and offshore
• Month end close duties, including:
• Prepare or approve month-end journal entries
• Monthly division/program income statement trend review, including budget variance analysis
• Monthly preparation of complex premium and/or claim bordereaux analysis
• Management and review of G/L account reconciliations and supporting schedule maintenance
• Ownership, including preparation and maintenance, of certain complex accounting reconciliations performed on a quarterly basis, or as needed
• Support budget and forecast personnel, as needed, through preparation and review of deliverables related to department responsibilities
• Staff development
• Assist in efforts to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley (“SOX”) requirements
• Assist in special projects, ad hoc tasks and/or initiatives
• Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting – minimum requirement
• Progressive experience culminating in 4+ years’ private industry Accounting Manager experience at a similarly sized company, or comparable
• Ability to organize, self-prioritize, and be a self-starter in a fast-paced environment with demanding internal and external deadlines
• Ability to multi-task between monitored and performed assignments
• Microsoft Office skills required – Advanced Excel, Intermediate Word, Intermediate Power Point
• Extensive accounting software experience
• Strong interpersonal skills. Collaborative team player a must
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Insurance industry experience
• Public accounting experience
• SOX knowledge/experience
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION:
Palomar Holdings offers competitive salaries commensurate with individual experience, ongoing professional development, and a comprehensive benefits package, including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Company-Paid Long Term Disability benefits, 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan (with company matching), Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays. Paid parking.