LandVest is looking for an energetic, entrepreneurial, and dedicated professional for a District Forester position to serve our clients in northern Maine. The position may also include assisting on other project work within the Division. Primarily, the position involves field work focused on road and harvest operations but will include inventory/cruising work as well. As the candidate gains or demonstrates experience, responsibilities may grow to include preparing forest management plans and maintaining existing client relationships.
The position will report out of our Jackman office with administrative support available from this location, and across the Maine region. The position location should be considered “in woods” and will be based out of multiple logging camps located at Ragmuff and 5th St. John to minimize travel due to the wide region served by this office. Frequent overnight and multi-night travel will also be necessary with ongoing inventory projects. Candidates should possess or be willing to obtain a Maine Forester’s license.
LandVest has over 50 years of experience in providing industry-leading consulting forestry services to its diverse clientele. Our staff is providing direction and guidance to always look ahead, use the most advanced forest science and bring about the finest long-term stewardship of our client’s forest resources as we work to meet their objectives of ownership. The staff consult on properties of varying sizes, timber types and varied ownership objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Operations: Field work focused on planning and implementing true commercial and precommercial silviculture, designing and implementing road upgrades and repairs
o involving planning and laying out of harvest units, planning and layout of road construction/maintenance activities, marking timber, inspecting active harvest and/or road operations and closeout, maintaining timber sale records, and collecting GPS data.
• Inventory: Collecting field data, following LandVest cruise protocols, and preparing cruise reports.
• Other Field Work: Boundary work, monitoring leases and other recreational uses, and other assigned field tasks.
• Office: Operational planning, management plan development, project administration, data analysis.
• Other: We are active in certification programs. LandVest is a Group Certified manager under FSC® certificate C120428 covering +/- 125,000 acres. Successful candidate will be trained to implement LandVest’s Operations Manual and Practices and Protocols that comply with certification and our company standards.
• Bachelor’s degree in Forestry from an SAF accredited program.
• 3 years experience in forest roads and operations.
• Strong communication skills - verbal and written.
• Ability to problem solve and having a strong attention to detail are essential to these positions.
• Ability to work with a broad variety of internal staff and external clients and colleagues.
• Must be willing to work strenuous days, occasional weekends, outdoors year-round in all weather conditions.
• Inventory/cruising related field experience
• Strong operations related field experience, with an emphasis on roads, preferred.
• Strong knowledge of and ability to implement mixed northern hardwood, spruce-fir and pine silviculture, planning and supervision of harvest and road operations, cruising, and inventory skills.
• Good computer skills in most elements of Microsoft Office; GPS and introductory GIS skills.
• Reliable and woods ready 4WD vehicle.
Pay and Benefits:
• Salary commensurate with experience and demonstrated skills.
• Benefits include medical, dental, 401K with match, paid vacation and sick leave.
• Incentives paid for generating new work and meeting budgets (profit sharing).
• Expense and mileage reimbursement. Annual stipend for personal vehicle use with appropriate gear.
• Reimbursement for professional dues, licenses, continuing education.
For information on LandVest, Inc., please visit our website at www.landvest.com
LandVest, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.