Iowa City Hospice is a community-oriented, not-for-profit organization. We have an exceptional Music Therapy team ready to assist and support a student through a very intense and specific internship designed to apply newly developed skills into a working knowledge of Music Therapy interventions. Initially, this position will job shadow and learn how we assess needs, develop a care plan and eventually take a small case load. We will offer a unique learning culture designed to enhance and develop assessment skills along with a working knowledge of how to apply Music Therapy while working in a professional, interdisciplinary team environment.
We are seeking candidates with exceptional communication skills, a nice mixture of attention to detail, a love of new challenges and follow through that assures stability in an ever changing work environment.
Essential Job Functions (including but not limited to):
1. Assess music therapy needs of the patient/family.
2. Provide music therapy services to the hospice patients and their families.
3. Consult with interdisciplinary team about patient referrals to assess needs and prioritize intervention.
4. Document all care provided on the patients’ clinical record in accordance with Iowa City Hospice’s documentation requirements.
5. Educate hospice staff and community about the role of the Music therapist and the use of music therapy interventions with hospice patients and families.
6. Demonstrates exceptional written and verbal communication standards to advance cooperative working relationships with Iowa City Hospice staff, management and care partners.
7. Assist with facilitating support groups upon request.
8. Provide bereavement follow-up to family members when determined appropriate by the interdisciplinary team.
9. Ensure effective use of resources.
10. Serve as an educational source to staff, Care Partners and the community.
11. Ensure implementation of strategic goals
12. Adhere to the practice of confidentiality regarding patients, families, staff and the organization.
13. Participate in Iowa City Hospice’s success by ensuring access to our exceptional care.
14. Support and promote the Iowa City Hospice’s mission to lead in providing exceptional patient-centered end-of-life care and grief support to anyone affected by a terminal illness.
15. Participate in the organization’s quality assessment and performance improvement program.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
Enrolled in an accredited Bachelor’s level Music Therapy Program
Education: in process of attaining Bachelor’s degree or equivalency in Music Therapy
Driving: Proof of license and current insurance coverage.