Position: Training Initiatives Intern
Salary Range: $15 per hour
Business Unit: Operations
Reports To: Training Initiatives Manager
Posted: September 18 – October 1, 2020
Funding Status: Admin
About Philadelphia Works, Inc.
Philadelphia Works, Inc is the City’s Workforce Development Board. We are a quasi-public, non-profit organization serving both career seekers and employers.?We invest public resources in a variety of workforce solutions.?These solutions connect Philadelphia residents with employment and training opportunities and help employers find, grow, and retain local talent. For more information about our dedicated board members and staff, workforce news, labor market data, services, innovative initiatives, and current opportunities to connect, please visit www.philaworks.org.
The Training Initiatives Team at Philadelphia Works provides the administration and programming of vocational skills training programs offered to support Philadelphians in reaching their career goals through education. The Training Initiatives Intern will support and contribute to building the capacity and quality of vocational skills training programs through a mix of daily duties and longer-term collaborative projects based on the individual’s background, skills, and interests.
The ideal candidate is:
• Passionate about non-profits and young professionals having a place within an evolving work environment.
• Interested in developing their workplace skills while advancing Philadelphia Works’ mission.
• Have a background and/or interest in non-profit administration, education, communications, policy, or another related field.
This position will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Daily responsibilities related to training processes may include scheduling meetings; reviewing documents; or corresponding with training providers, PA CareerLink® partners, or Philadelphia Works staff.
2. Projects will be determined by the intern’s background and expertise, which may include:
• Writing and creating a variety of informational materials related to training programs (i.e., informational handouts, process guides, FAQs) for various audiences (i.e., training providers, students, staff).
• Streamlining training program application processes.
• Assessing training program quality through the creation of an educational assessment tool.
• Building processes and materials for training program recruitment and/or outreach for students.
• Supporting training procurement processes.
• Supporting the adoption and/or use of new technology in training operations.
3. Attend regularly scheduled meetings and provide status updates during each (bi)weekly meeting with your supervisor.
4. Work closely with members of the department to learn their responsibilities and support their daily functions.
5. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Currently enrolled and attending a full-time undergraduate university. Having completed sophomore year in a four-year college/university. Applicant may be enrolled in any course of study with a minimum of 2.5 GPA.
Or, any combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Being successful in the role requires candidates who:
• Maintain and present a positive and flexible attitude when completing tasks and working with others across all levels of the organization.
• Effectively manage individual or team-based assignments with an openness to receiving feedback.
• Work independently with a strong sense of time management to meet deadlines.
• Are authorized to work in the United States of America.
• Available to work a minimum of 15 to a maximum of 37.5 hours per week.
Must also possess strong communication and technical skills:
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and a commitment to producing high-quality materials.
• Excellent oral and written communication.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Intermediate knowledge of MS Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
• Tech-savvy with an aptitude for learning new technology.
It’s a bonus if you have coursework or experience in:
• Developing informational materials for diverse audiences.
• Curriculum development, educational assessment, or adult education.
• Non-profit administration, policy, or workforce development.
• Process mapping or process improvement.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Philadelphia Works is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, transgender status, and gender identity), gender, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, familial status, religion, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual preference, political affiliation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws, in all matters pertaining to recruitment, selection, compensation, training, advancement and promotion, retention, discipline, and termination.