Job Title: Human Resources Assistant (part-time)
Reports To: Human Resources Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
The Sacramento SPCA is a vibrant, well-established and respected non-profit animal welfare organization. Through our nationally-ranked high-volume spay and neuter clinic (we are ranked as one of the top 10 clinics in the country!), successful adoption program, behavior and training programs and more, the Sacramento SPCA is giving more than shelter and saving animals one life at a time.
The Human Resources Assistant is responsible for assisting with HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with the HR Manager in supporting all Sacramento SPCA departments and personnel. This position carries out responsibilities in a variety of functional areas including: Benefits administration, training, retention, performance management, onboarding/offboarding, recruitment, employment law compliance and safety.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides timely, polite and respectful internal and external customer service regardless of the circumstances; must remain calm, flexible, and willing to see other perspectives.
- Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all personnel; assists in the preparation and distribution of the Employee Handbook.
- Ensures organizational practices are in compliance with local, state and federal employment laws.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
- Performs benefits administration to include supporting claims resolution, change reporting, reconciliation, approval of invoices for payment and communicating benefit information to employees.
- Assists with required employment filings such as EEO-1 annual reports, workers’ compensation logs, and other record keeping requirements.
- Assists with recruitment efforts and new-employee orientations.
- Assists with the employee offboarding process and exit interviewing.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports from the database.
- Processes and monitors workers’ compensation claims.
- Assists with time cards for payroll and other various payroll functions as required.
- Assists with the coordination of the Safety Committee.
- Helps coordinate and maintain employee retention/recognition programs.
- Maintains administrative files and staff personnel files.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides general administrative support to Finance, Training and Volunteer departments.
- Assists with basic payroll functions such as timecards and supporting managers with punch errors.
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
- Expands knowledge pertinent to this position by seeking professional development opportunities regarding trends and best practices in the human resources field.
- Provides accurate information and friendly professional service to the public and coworkers in a responsive, positive, courteous and truthful manner.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- This position requires a high degree of customer service skills, flexibility, problem solving skills, and team building.
- Must exercise independent judgment in the disposition of routine matters and must be dependable.
- Requires ability to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Working knowledge of Lominger Competency model a plus.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and written, when giving presentations, conducting interviews, and training support.
- Intermediate computer skills using HRIS systems, MS Office Suite and Google drive.
- Experience with Quickbooks is a plus, but not required.
- Working knowledge of local, state and federal laws and regulations governing employment.
- Have a valid California Drivers license and clear driving record for one year prior to employment in order to operate SSPCA vehicles.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in HR, or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- HRCI designation is highly desired.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
- Must be in good health. Any allergic condition that would be aggravated from exposure or through contact with animals or chemicals used to sanitize facilities, vehicles or equipment, is a disqualification.
- Use hands/arms for repetitive grasping, pushing pulling, and fine manipulation. This job involves extensive use of computers for analysis, report writing, e-mail communication, as well as use of telephone.
- Occasional bending, squatting, and lifting items up to 25 pounds.
- Primarily sits in an air-conditioned office environment.
- By nature of the job, there is occasional exposure with dead, injured, sick, unruly, vicious, and/or dangerous animals in addition to exposure to parasites and infectious diseases.
- Must be available and willing to work such weekends, holidays, overtime, and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees, but are not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Either employer or employee may terminate the employment relationship at any time with or without notice and with or without cause.