Wayside Publishing is seeking an experienced, full-time Editor to assist in the development of our innovative educational products and ancillary projects. This role, reporting to the Curriculum Coordinator, will work with Project Managers, Graphic Designers, and authors to guide authors through the editorial process to create Wayside’s unique and groundbreaking K-12 educational textbooks and digital learning programs.
The Editor role is varied and at times fast-paced, working in a collaborative-rich environment. You will directly contribute to projects by taking the lead on editorial process and tasks and guide the work of freelance editors in consultation with the Curriculum Coordinator. You will assume ownership for ensuring consistency in naming conventions, word usage, and organization across all of Wayside’s products. Must be able to thrive working independently, proactively identifying and suggesting improvements and new processes.
As a small business, all of our positions require flexibility and occasionally additional responsibilities that may include providing other employees with technical support.
Please note that due to the pandemic this position will be remote until the order is lifted.
If you are passionate about the possibility of contributing to building educational programs and love the editorial process, keep reading!
- Organize internal peer reviews of unit manuscripts/proofs and collect review process feedback
- Manage internal error boards and recommend appropriate edits to correct
- Copyedit manuscripts in production, ensuring the highest-quality manuscript goes to design and print
- Prepare and maintain editorial checklist and stylesheet for Wayside products
- Develop and maintain unit manuscript template for authors
- Organize and separate components of manuscripts for teacher edition, student edition, and audio/video scripts
- Work closely with graphic designers and contributing authors as needed to make editorial changes to manuscripts and proofs for consistency, ensuring that any change that is made is also made across all components
- Develop and maintain process for collecting and evaluating user feedback on existing products in order to drive improvement of current titles and new products
- Develop foldering system of digital components housed on online platform so all necessary accompanying activities are properly placed
- Participate in state adoptions and RFPs as appropriate
- Contribute to the creation/authoring of supplemental resources to accompany Wayside products
- Attend weekly author meetings as needed
- All other duties as assigned
- Proficient in Spanish; conversant in French a plus
- Takes initiative with a positive, can-do attitude
- Contributes to a friendly and cooperative development environment
- Adopts new technology with ease
- Collaborates well while working remotely
- Accepts feedback for improvement
- Attends to details and respects deadlines
- Learns and applies new skills quickly
- Maintains professional demeanor under pressure
- Able to work both collaboratively and autonomously
- Possesses strong organizational skills
- Teaching experience a plus, but not required
Wayside Publishing is a rapidly growing, education publisher. Our language learning strategies embrace and reflect those endorsed by modern research and by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. Our goal is to engage students and teachers across the country in the pursuit of global citizenship and lifelong learning. Join our team!