You know us as the lawyers who promise “there’s never a fee unless we get money for you.”
What you may not know is that we’re a firm dedicated to client care and enriching our city and community.
For the past 30 years, Edgar Snyder & Associates has built a culture of excellence and earned a reputation for taking care of clients and giving back to the community. We’ve built a team of professionals with laser focus on winning clients the resources they need to rebuild their lives. That team is comprised of high-achieving lawyers, paralegals, and legal assistants who provide a personal touch. We’re consistently ranked among the best places to work in Pittsburgh, and we strive to recognize and reward the focus and drive of our employees.
We’re looking for driven law clerks who want to make a difference for our clients – people injured through no fault of their own.
Sound like you? Then we want to hear from you for our clerkship.
Please note that this clerkship is for fall 2020 - spring 2021; candidates should be enrolled at a law school in Pittsburgh.
1. Legal writing: Prepares drafts of legal filings, including petitions, affidavits, findings, memos, briefs, and motions. Assures that external filings (both paper and electronic) are timely and accurate. Strictly adheres to all case management deadlines. Consistently and proactively communicates status of assignments.
2. Attorney support: uses legal knowledge and independent judgment to summarize depositions, highlighting key information and nuances for future reference.
3. Legal research: performs research assignments for attorneys. Uses strong communication skills to clarify topic, communicate initial findings and confirm assignment, and delivers research in a timely manner.
4. Reviews and analyzes other pleadings and case matters, including discovery responses, etc. Confers with attorneys and clients regarding the status and findings.
5. Reviews and analyzes case material to assist in preparation of case for trial, including drafting pretrial statements, exhibit lists, medical legal art, scheduling depositions for trial (expert depositions), etc.
6. Prepares letters, memorandum and other correspondence accurately according to firm standards and in an efficient and timely manner. Processes mail and tracks to cases files as needed.
7. Client contact: at the direction of the attorney, communicates with the client.
Enrollment in law school
GPA of 3.25 or higher
Legal Writing grade of B or higher
• Exhibits behavior consistent with the ESA's core values. Demonstrates strong sense of integrity and customer service.
• Resourceful self-starter who takes initiative to quickly assimilate and apply new knowledge.
• Excellent communication skills; proactively seeks and integrates feedback on behavior, work product, and other development areas. Outstanding writing ability.
• Highly organized; able to juggle and communicate regarding multiple priorities and assignments. Able to adapt to both different work styles and expectations, and shifting priorities.
• Persistent in completion of assignments and confirmation that the assignment met expectations.
• Ability to support preparation of complex legal documents, contracts, amendments and other related items with strict confidentiality, independently drafting for review and signature as needed.
• Advanced computer skills including MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Pro, Internet, email, and other software as required.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships with internal and external clients.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high energy and team-oriented environment. Able to produce high quality work under pressure and within tight deadlines.