For over 40 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
Lead assigned field staff and contractors involved in project maintenance and emergency maintenance response at multiple apartment buildings and properties. Provide expertise in building systems (Mechanical / Electrical / Plumbing), operation of diagnostic equipment (IR camera, sewer camera, etc.), and skills training for other maintenance staff. Support inventory, purchasing, and planning with maintenance supervisors. Complete assigned work orders, and perform additional duties as assigned. Participate in the on-call emergency rotation.
• Apply fair housing guidelines to entering occupied units and interacting with residents.
• Plan and prioritize “Project” work orders with assistance from Senior Maintenance Supervisor and Senior Facilities Manager.
• Work independently and with staff assigned to you.
• Estimate time and materials required to complete projects of small to moderate size.
• Operate a motor vehicle and other work related equipment.
• Respond, as needed, to emergencies at Bellwether properties.
• Oversee assigned projects employing both Bellwether staff and outside contractors.
• Update the Senior Maintenance Manager of work progress daily and report any maintenance needs observed while at Bellwether properties.
• When needed, initiate the maintenance process by asking the Site Manager to generate a work request to the Maintenance Department.
• Provide technical assistance and skills training to other Bellwether maintenance staff.
• Inform the Senior Maintenance Manager of staff skill training needs and workload issues.
• Participate as a team member to troubleshoot problems, and suggest changes.
• Perform inspections, as assigned, and ensure that deficiencies are noted and addressed.
• Work closely with all Maintenance Department Supervisors and Property Managers to determine work priorities.
• Communicate materials needs to the Maintenance Office Administrator and assist in researching and selecting appropriate materials.
• Apply skilled mechanical aptitude in repairing and maintaining building systems; may include but not limited to roofing, cladding, HVAC, and emergency systems.
• Ensure compliance with manufacturer and Bellwether standards, for recommended usage, and application of workplace materials.
• Consult the Bellwether Safety Manual, Safety Data Sheets (SDS), and Employee Handbook for guidance, and follow all safety procedures when performing assigned duties.
• Respond to maintenance emergencies, initiating contact with other emergency services when appropriate. Be available to initiate maintenance emergency actions, cleaning up debris, water, etc. and contacting the Senior Maintenance Supervisor.
• Safeguard Bellwether building and unit keys.
• Attend routine and ad hoc Maintenance Department meetings.
• Represent Bellwether ethics in your own work, and in the work you manage.
• Undertake other duties as assigned by Maintenance Supervisors.
• Skilled carpentry, plumbing, and electrical experience in a residential setting.
• WA State 07b Residential Electrical certification and Boiler operator certification (or able to complete within 6 months).
• HVAC operations/service experience.
• Able to manage multiple responsibilities, prioritizing and taking initiative as needed.
• Able to complete strenuous work for extended periods, stand, bend, reach, and stoop.
• Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• Good oral and written communication skills, and ability to communicate in English.
• Dependable, self-motivated individual with stable work history.
• Must possess the physical ability and aptitude to operate hand and power tools.
• Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
• Must be able to share responsibility for after-hours emergency maintenance response.
• Advanced carpentry skills.
• Small project management skills.
• Project cost estimating.
• Computer use experience, especially related to Microsoft Outlook.
Other Position Requirements:
• Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
• Have reliable transportation and be able to meet all traveling requirements of this position.
• Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State Driver’s License, the appropriate automobile insurance, and a safe driving record.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week, flexible work schedule
Compensation: $30.05 - $33.33 per hour DOE, benefits
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b)-retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, disability (short- and long-term); employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, including the diversity of thought and experience. We are committed to building an open and inclusive culture for all employees. We consider all applicants without regard to education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience. All interested candidates are encouraged to apply.