Virginia Community Capital is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with a mission to create jobs, energize places, and promote an enhanced quality of life for Virginians. With offices in Christiansburg, Norfolk, and Richmond, we offer innovative and flexible financing tools throughout the state. In addition, we provide professional advisory services to individuals and organizations in low-to-moderate income and underserved communities.
VCC is currently seeking a full-time Assistant Director for the Capital Region Small Business Development Center at VCC (SBDC Asst. Director). The SBDC Asst. Director will be responsible for contributing to the relaunch of the Richmond-based center and supporting the day-to-day operations with an emphasis on assisting businesses and entrepreneurs impacted by COVID-19.
The position will provide assistance, coaching, and strategic direction for new business startups or business expansions in the greater Richmond region; deliver professional training classes; represent the Capital Region SBDC at regional professional events and associations; and work with other directors and management within VCC to expand services and offerings to small business owners. This is a grant-funded position contingent upon availability of grant funds. The Capital Region SBDC is part of the Virginia SBDC Network, a partnership program of the U.S. Small Business Administration and George Mason University. The position reports to the Capital Region SBDC Director.
- Supports and executes programs and services that meet the requirements of the local funders, the Virginia SBDC Network, and the US Small Business Administration (SBA).
- Contributes to the development, implementation, and updating of the SBDC's strategic plan. Ensure that organizational goals and objectives are accomplished in a timely and thorough manner.
- Designs and distributes business marketing material developed in conjunction with VCC publications.
- Identify and support grant applications that are relevant to entrepreneurship and business development to support the SBDC’s continued operations and growth.
- Initiate co-sponsorship of programs with private businesses, economic development organizations, and other government entities.
- Support the management of an advisory board comprised of funders, community stakeholders, and small business leaders.
- Document client advising and training activities via Center IC in a timely, accurate, and comprehensive manner. Collect and transmit consolidated client data. Maintain adequate client files as per Virginia SBDC Network Lead Office and SBA guidelines.
- Counsel prospective and existing small business owners/managers and coordinates delivery of services throughout the service region.
- Analyze situations, make recommendations, and educate clients with regard to business plans, market feasibility, financial viability, operations management, COVID-19 response and recovery, and legal structures, to name but a few topics.
- Maintain an appropriate level and mix of clients as noted by annual deliverables and strategic plan objectives.
- Develop and deliver high-quality, business training programs that are responsive to the needs of the business community served.
- Determine topics, agendas, instructors, instructional materials, location, time, and other resources required.
- Serve as an instructor of business training programs, and secure qualified outside instructors, as needed.
- Provide support for the SBDC/SBA required annual site visits, quarterly meetings, monthly conference calls, and reports as required throughout the service area.
- Support coordinated media and publicity initiatives with VCC, Virginia SBDC Network and the Richmond District SBA office to generate visibility and support of local services and programs.
- Present SBDC information to local chambers, banks, business associations, and other key community groups to generate awareness of and referrals for counseling/training programs. Meets regularly with community representatives to identify counseling and training needs of area.
- Meet regularly with Advisory Board and other partner groups to discuss impact of current business services and programs, and future collaborations.
- Support the maintenance of the Capital Region SBDC’s information on VCC and Virginia SBDC websites.
- Maintain relationships and resources in government/public and private business sectors to assist SBDC clients.
Additional Position Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, and/or management or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive background in small business consulting, mentoring, and/or counseling; minimum of 5 years is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Proven leadership and an understanding of issues impacting small business owners.
- Ability to provide business advice to starting or developing companies.
- Demonstrated experience driving business growth through innovation and the implementation of technology.
- An entrepreneurial mindset; able and interested to pursue new business opportunities.
- Customer-service oriented.
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player who favors collaborative approaches when working with internal and external partners.
- Able to work collaboratively with diverse leaders, communicate a strategy across all levels of the organization, and build consensus around key initiatives and projects.
- Ability to communicate from a customer perspective, across diverse groups of customers.
- Possesses exceptional organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written; able to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Possesses exceptional business acumen, analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; can handle the unexpected with flexibility.
- Master’s degree in Finance, Business, or Marketing
- Bilingual – English & Spanish
- Experience influencing strategy within an organization; ability to sell ideas and visions
- Experience in owning, growing, and managing a small business
Compensation and Benefits:
VCC offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including health, disability, and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, and paid time off. The SBDC Asst. Director salary range is $60,000 – $70,000 based on experience. In addition to salary, this position is eligible for performance-based merit increases.
Click to Apply: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/All/b2feafd1-33c4-4105-aecb-7c18bbe1eb9d/Virginia-Community-Capital
VCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. VCC does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job-related disability, or status as a veteran.