Alta Vista Solutions (Alta Vista) is a client-centered, multidisciplinary engineering firm focused on effectively and efficiently solving today’s engineering challenges to keep projects moving forward. Recognized for providing innovative, realistic, and practical solutions, Alta Vista has helped infrastructure owners deliver some of the world’s largest and most challenging projects. Everyone at Alta Vista shares one common goal: to Do Right by our clients, our infrastructure and our people. We are seeking individuals to join our team who want to make a positive impact on our transportation, work to solve complex problems, and have fun while learning and growing in a collaborative environment.
The Engineer III is responsible for performing assigned duties on construction projects for bridges and other transportation structures. Position requires thorough knowledge of civil/structural design, construction, and material engineering techniques to plan and perform independent work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of these techniques, procedures and criteria. Included in that role are analyses of complex structural engineering design and construction documents, drawings, reports, quality control reviews and providing timely material related recommendations. This position will also be responsible for the management of the quality of materials incorporated into construction contracts.
• Conduct engineering investigations to investigate the suitability of materials for construction projects. These tasks may include collection and analysis of data, performance of calculations, and participation in evaluating the feasibility of alternate solutions.
• Meet regularly with clients to establish and maintain open lines of communication throughout the life of the project.
• Anticipate and resolve issues associated with quality assurance and source inspection while maintaining standards, consistency, contract schedule, and contract cost.
• Perform data acquisition and analysis, researching the feasibility of alternative design approaches, site conditions, and/or regulatory agency specifications or regulations.
• Provide clear, effective, and timely engineering recommendations to clients.
• Identify resources needed to accomplish client’s quality assurance and source inspection responsibilities.
• Review shop drawings for conformance with specifications; assist in recordkeeping and generating progress reports; observe and independently verify fabrication, manufacturing, and construction processes; perform verification sampling and testing.
• Develop and produce work plans, schedules, and budgets.
• Performs engineering calculations.
• Perform field observations of construction/fabrication where appropriate.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Effective written, interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work as part of a team involving staff, clients and outside agencies
• Proficient using Microsoft Office (Word & Excel) and AutoCAD
• Strong problem-solving skills, including identifying data quality issues
• Strong organizational skills, including an ability to prioritize activities and work with limited supervision
• Detail minded
• Results oriented and able to complete tasks on deadline with little supervision
• Ability to make good decisions using sound, professional judgment
• B.S. in Civil Engineering required
• M.S. in Civil Engineering preferred
• P.E. required
• 5-10 Years’ experience with transportation projects
• Experience with CALTRANS practices and procedures preferred
• Good interpersonal skills and capable of developing technical writing, and communications skills. PC skills required.
• Knowledge of CADD preferred