Sanctuary for Families is New York’s leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services. We provide a range of wrap-around services to help survivors rebuild their lives in the aftermath of abuse, and work to end gender violence through three key strategies: direct services, outreach and training, and systems-change advocacy. Our services are available in 11 locations throughout New York City.
Sanctuary for Families, Center for Battered Women’s Legal Services, the largest provider in the U.S. of legal services exclusively for victims of domestic violence and related forms of gender-based violence seeks a dynamic individual with a commitment to working with victims and survivors. The Staff Attorney primary duty will be to provide direct representation in family law matters including custody, visitation, and order of protection cases in addition to working on the Center’s legal helpline and conducting community outreach and training.
• Providing direct representation to clients in family law matters in Family and Supreme Courts in all 5 boroughs;
• Conducting legal clinics at community based organizations;
• Together with the Legal Center’s Staff Attorney and Law Graduate, staffing the Legal Helpline;
• Advocating directly for clients with key stakeholders including but not limited to NYPD, prosecutors, Administration for Children’s Services (ACS), Human Resources Administration (HRA), and Division for Homeless Services (DHS);
• Conducting community based outreach and training;
• Directing cases to the appropriate resources within the agency and the Legal Center;
• Tracking the status of cases referred internally and externally;
• Fostering and maintaining relationships with Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) that refer clients to the Helpline;
• Partnering with the Pro Bono Supervising Attorney in identifying cases that are suitable for representation by pro bono attorneys;
• Together with the Staff Attorney and Law Graduate, overseeing referrals between Sanctuary’s Legal, Clinical and Economic Empowerment Departments;
• Performing any other department or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by the Director and Deputy Director.
• J.D. and admitted to NY Bar
• At least 2 years of relevant legal experience
• Fluency in Spanish, Mandarin or Korean is preferred
• Ability to work with diverse populations
• Sensitivity to sexual exploitation, domestic violence and other gender-related issues
• Ability to multitask and prioritize
• Ability to work well under pressure
• Strong ability to work independently
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Strong communication skills
• Computer literacy including Microsoft Office
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and shall also follow the requirements of the Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
D.E.I Commitment: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core values at Sanctuary for Families that represent our dedication to fostering a safe, respectful, responsive, and fair work environment. We recognize the value diversity holds in embracing all employees, clients, and volunteers regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or professional level.