Do you have the rare combination of creativity and grit it takes to thrive in a fast-paced, but elevated, kitchen environment? Do you have the desire to grow your culinary talents under a highly-skilled leadership team? Sound like you? Continue reading!
The Cook at Journeyman Distillery's full-service Staymaker restaurant is the make-or-break point of our guest's dining experience. They can always take a bottle of spirits home but it's the delicious items on our food menu that will keep them coming back for more! Journeyman believes in and has a long history of promotion from within. With new locations coming online, the opportunities are vast!
Basic Function: The Cook is responsible for the daily preparation of food items and accompanying sides, sauces, relishes, dressings, and garnishes that appear on menus or as a feature pertaining to assigned station. The Cook shall exemplify the Culinary Team’s highest standards of quality, consistency and joyful service to the membership.
At Journeyman Distillery, we believe hard work and dedication deserve to be rewarded. To that end, we provide a comprehensive benefits and incentives package.
Here’s a peek at what you will receive as a Journeyman employee:
- Outstanding Growth Opportunity!
- Paid Time Off – begins accruing on Day 1
- 401(k) with Employer Match available Day 1
- Medical Insurance – 30+ hours/week
- Dental, Vision, Life, Supplemental Insurance options – 20+ hours/week
- Free Monthly Bottle of Spirit (21+)
- Unlimited $300 Referral Bonuses
- Loyalty Incentives (ask about our 5-Year Bottle Reward!)
- 25% Employee Discount
- Monthly Founders' Tour with Bill and Johanna Welter
- Annual Employee Putting Competition
- 3 Annual Employee Parties
- Shoes for Crews (Affordable Footwear)
All team members must uphold and embody Journeyman’s Core Values which represent the culture, attitude, and immediate priorities ensuring our cohesion and success.
- Having a positive attitude that no challenge is too great
- Understanding that goals worth pursuing are never easy; that perseverance, grit, and determination are essential to success
- There is no substitute for grit and putting in the time and effort. Good things will come from those efforts
- 10,000-hour rule. Malcom Gladwell: it takes 10,000 hours of intensive practice to be great
ALWAYS A JOURNEYMAN
- Excellence is a lifelong pursuit and mastery is an illusion
- The joy is in the daily work and pursuit of excellence, not in the final destination
- A focus on continual improvement and doing our best
- Treating every customer with the mindset that they are the business’s 1st ever customer
- Treating customers with authenticity, kindness, warmth, care, friendliness; engaging, helpful and willing to offer a magical experience
- Clean facilities
- Being available to the customer and timely responses in any capacity
- This mindset extends to our vendors, suppliers, partners, and especially our fellow employees
- Never take the customer or employee for granted
- 362 and 59:59+ We are open to our customers 362 days a year and we set an unwavering standard of serving our customers up till the last closing second 59:59+ and beyond if needed.
- Taking pride and ownership in your work
- Engagement and active participation in your work and company activities
- Being a positive force in the workplace; creating a culture of positivity
- Extending common courtesy to self, employees, vendors, and guests
- Being an evangelist and promoter of the company and brand
- Perform basic preparation techniques including slicing, dicing, mincing, and chopping using knives and mechanical devices such as electric slicers and food processors, etc.
- Perform basic cooking functions of baking, roasting, braising, sautéing, broiling, poaching, searing, grilling, broiling, basting, frying, pan fry, and stewing using appropriate kitchen equipment and tools.
- Ensure assigned work station is stocked with specified tools, supplies and equipment to meet the business demand; Set up, maintain and break down assigned station.
- Prepare meats, seafood, vegetables, starches, and other items required for a la carte and special function purposes using established Staymaker recipes in accordance with Staymaker standards.
- Serve items in accordance with established portion and presentation standards.
- Ensure that food products are used in a timely manner.
- Use food preparation equipment according to manufacturers’ instructions.
- Ensure that all items needed for menu preparation are in stock; Notify Shift Leader or Executive Chef in advance of expected shortages and when supplies are low – before they run out.
- Handle raw or prepared foods and non-food supplies in a manner that is consistent with state sanitation/health regulations.
- Ensure proper storage procedures as specified by Health Department and Staymaker requirements (wrap, label and date).
- Assist in cleaning and sanitizing production equipment, work surfaces and kitchen (including storage areas and coolers)
- Ensure that applicable kitchen equipment is in proper working order prior to shift; Communicate any maintenance, repair or upkeep issues to Shift Leaders or Executive Chef
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND VISUAL SKILLS:
- Culinary Degree desired or 1-2 years relative cooking experience
- Proper knowledge of cooking techniques and methods
- Advanced knife skills
- Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy
- Ability to carry out detailed written or verbal instructions independently.
- Ability to visually inspect food preparation and read and follow recipes.
- Ability to use all senses to ensure consistency and quality in food preparation and execution
- Ability to operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions
- Good organizational skills and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use logical or rational thinking to solve problems.
- Ability to perform moderate physical work; may be required to lift up to 70 pounds occasionally, up to 50 pounds frequently and up to ten pounds constantly and performing such activities as bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, climbing, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting and grasping for up to five hours without sitting.
REQUIRED WORK HABITS:
- Work habits include regular attendance, team work, initiative, dependability, positive attitude and promptness.
- Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays
- Works primarily indoors in food preparation and a kitchen maintenance environment.
- Potential exposure to sharp and rapid equipment movement hazards, sharp utensils, extremely hot stoves, grills and food and dangerous chemicals/solvents if proper safety procedures are not followed.